Makayla Brownlee had a SEIZURE during Hollywood Week - but she sucked it up and drove on....
MummyChunk
2020-03-24 18:36:39 UTC
Give it the good ol Army try. Makayla Brownlee had a pani
attach/seizure but she soldiered through it

From Y
***
Monday was the final day of American Idol Season 18’s Hollywood Week
the crucial solo round with a full band — and it was “survival of th
fittest,” according to host Ryan Seacrest. And one contestant
17-year-old country singer Makayla Brownlee, almost wasn’t able t
handle the pressure, due to a rare condition called vasovagal syncop
that causes her to react to stress in an extreme way. “There’s nothin
I can do to prevent a seizure,” she explained. “When I’m stressed out
my body just reacts differently.

The way Makayla’s body reacted, when she finally got her turn onstag
to sing Kacey Musgraves’s “Rainbow” for the judges, was to go weak
appear as if she was about to throw up, and scurry off into the stag
wings, her hand cupped over her mouth. Medics swooped in to assist
and concerned executive producer Trisha Kinane told the show’s staff
“She’s stabilized, but they’re unsure if she can return.

Thankfully, Makayla was able to come back — greeted by a standin
ovation — though she had to sit on a stool for her second performanc
attempt. Despite being physically weak, she powered it through, th
optimistic “Rainbow” taking on new gravity due to the circumstances
while her father in the Orpheum Theater audience and judges Kat
Perry, Lionel Richie, and Luke Bryan were all in tears. It was enoug
to advance Makayla to the top 40, but hopefully she will be OK
because it’s only going to get more stressful from here

There were tears of another kind later in the episode, when othe
contestants found out they had not made the top 40 — and therefor
would not be heading to Hawaii for the season’s final showcas
determining who makes the top 20. YZthaSinger, Kat Luna, Shene
Maisonet, Jimmy Levy, and Peyton Aldridge were among those cuts, bu
the saddest elimination had to be returning contestant Margie Mays
She actually made it to Hawaii last year, and had hoped to do so agai
this time with her boyfriend, fellow contestant Jonny West, by he
side. Jonny and Margie needed this solo round to redeem themselve
after their disappointing duet the day before, and while Jonny made i
through on the strength of his soulful original song, Margie’
heartfelt “Lost Without You” wasn’t enough — even though I thought i
was her best performance of this season. When Jonny searched th
Orpheum lobby in vain after the judges’ decisions were revealed
hoping to celebrate with Margie — and realized he’d be going to Hawai
alone, he genuinely seemed more heartbroken than she was

Speaking of original songs, while Jonny’s was a winner, some of the
really were not up to snuff. It was clear many contestants were hopin
to become the next Alejandro Aranda (who visited Hollywood Week t
give them a pep talk while they totally fanned out). But as Katy pu
it, most of their cringey originals were “not all there yet,” an
hardly at the level of Alejandro’s instant classics “Out Loud” and “1
Years.” Even some frontrunners, like Julia Gargano — who forgot th
name of her own song, which is never a good sign — and Robert Taylo
struggled. At one point, an exasperated Luke even tossed his pen dow
in disgust (during Jimmy Levy’s bizarre, rambling original), buryin
his face in his hands. “Disappointing,” Katy grumbled

Along with Jonny West, one of the few contestants whose original di
not disappoint the judges was Lauren Mascitti. The panel seemed t
adore “God Made a Woman,” Lauren’s dedication to her belove
grandmother sitting in the audience. But while the gesture was sweet
I found the tune to be simplistic and sing-songy, and its Biblica
Adam/Eve conceit trite and clichéd, sort of a rip-off of Voic
contestant RaeLynn’s corny single “God Made Girls.

While the judges went easy on Lauren, I do have to say I appreciate
how, for once, they were channeling their inner Simon Cowells an
Nicki Minajes rather than being their usual softie selves. When a sle
of contestants overdid their runs and vocal acrobatics (Nick Merico’
“Heaven” being one hellish example), the judges’ aghast reactions and
zingers were pure comedy. “Whyyyyy are they doing this to themselves?”
groaned Kat. “Did I take the wrong vitamin pills this morning?” Lionel
gasped. “Are they chugging caffeine backstage or something?” said
Luke. Luke even half-jokingly contemplated having only a top 20 in
Hawaii. So Katy went backstage to dole out some tough love. “Can I
talk to them? This is getting stupid!” she cried out.

Once backstage, Katy told the contestants waiting in the wings to
perform: “Hey, just want to give you a tip. Everyone’s trying all
these high notes that they’ve never done before — and it sounds really
weird and it’s freaking us out! So just like, be yourself. Just be
good.”

Thankfully, there were plenty of contestants who took Katy’s advice to
heart. Among my favorite “good” performances were Jovin Webb’s
“Parachute” (he was truly in his element with a full band); Faith
Becnel’s sassy “Cry for Me” (Luke said she was “like a daggone Dolly
Parton”); real-deal Franklin Boone’s raw but tastefully restrained
“River” (he actually could be this year’s Alejandro Aranda);
personality-plus Perrin York’s vivacious “Good As Hell”; Genevieve
Linkowski’s passionate and masterful “In My Blood”; Just Sam’s joyous
take on The Color Purple’s “I’m Here” (a major coup, considering she
had throat issues); young Lauren Spencer-Smith’s unexpected mature and
intense “The Joke,” which was serious stuff; and Louis Knight’s
redemptive cover of Lewis Capaldi’s “Hold Me While You Wait” that gave
Luke chills.

also loved a performance by another Makayla, Phillips — a “daggone
Ariana Grande,” according to Luke — an epic rendition of Lizzo’s
ambitious and over-the-top “Cuz I Love You.” But the tough-loving
judges didn’t love it at all, with Katy even grunting, “That was the
worst song she picked!” Thankfully, Makayla made it through, but I
hope the judges don’t crush her adventurous spirit. I don’t want her
doing predictable Mariah/Whitney/Adele ballads all season.

On Sunday, the top 40 head to Hawaii, for one last grand adventure
before next Monday’s (already taped) “Green Mile” mass-elimination
episode, and, most likely, a live-show hiatus due to coronavirus
concerns
Zob
2020-03-25 02:36:11 UTC
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 13:36:39 -0500,
Give it the good ol Army try. Makayla Brownlee had a panic
attach/seizure but she soldiered through it.
Actually, she didn't soldier through it. She ran off stage. Then was
taken to a hospital in an ambulance to be checked out, and came back
later.
but
the saddest elimination had to be returning contestant Margie Mays.
She actually made it to Hawaii last year, and had hoped to do so again
this time with her boyfriend, fellow contestant Jonny West, by her
side. Jonny and Margie needed this solo round to redeem themselves
after their disappointing duet the day before, and while Jonny made it
through on the strength of his soulful original song, Margie’s
heartfelt “Lost Without You” wasn’t enough — even though I thought it
was her best performance of this season.
I thought she pretty much sucked.
When Jonny searched the
Orpheum lobby in vain after the judges’ decisions were revealed —
hoping to celebrate with Margie — and realized he’d be going to Hawaii
alone, he genuinely seemed more heartbroken than she was.
Jonny West is pretty much a clone of Maddie Poppe's boyfriend, whose
name I can't even remember now.
Just Sam’s joyous
take on The Color Purple’s “I’m Here” (a major coup, considering she
had throat issues)
I love her for some reason. She's an authentic amateur with GOd-given
talent, humble, not from a wealthy family, no vocal training. Just a
natural-born singer with an ability to reach people with her songs.
young Lauren Spencer-Smith’s unexpected mature and
intense “The Joke,” which was serious stuff;
Love it!
and Louis Knight’s
redemptive cover of Lewis Capaldi’s “Hold Me While You Wait” that gave
Luke chills.
I'm not a big fan of Louis. I just don't get him what the judges rave
about. Maybe as the season progresses. IF it does.
also loved a performance by another Makayla, Phillips — a “daggone
Ariana Grande,” according to Luke — an epic rendition of Lizzo’s
ambitious and over-the-top “Cuz I Love You.” I don’t want her
doing predictable Mariah/Whitney/Adele ballads all season.
I totally disagree. They should sing songs that they are best at in
the genre that they like. The easiest way to screw up is to sing
stuff that they don't normally like to sing. They will never feel the
music doing that.
Larc
2020-03-25 14:29:23 UTC
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 22:36:11 -0400, Zob <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

| >the saddest elimination had to be returning contestant Margie Mays.
| >She actually made it to Hawaii last year, and had hoped to do so again
| >this time with her boyfriend, fellow contestant Jonny West, by her
| >side. Jonny and Margie needed this solo round to redeem themselves
| >after their disappointing duet the day before, and while Jonny made it
| >through on the strength of his soulful original song, Margie’s
| >heartfelt “Lost Without You” wasn’t enough — even though I thought it
| >was her best performance of this season.
|
| I thought she pretty much sucked.

+1

| >When Jonny searched the
| >Orpheum lobby in vain after the judges’ decisions were revealed —
| >hoping to celebrate with Margie — and realized he’d be going to Hawaii
| >alone, he genuinely seemed more heartbroken than she was.
|
| Jonny West is pretty much a clone of Maddie Poppe's boyfriend, whose
| name I can't even remember now.

Caleb Lee Hutchinson. Good catch.

| >Just Sam’s joyous
| >take on The Color Purple’s “I’m Here” (a major coup, considering she
| >had throat issues)
|
| I love her for some reason. She's an authentic amateur with GOd-given
| talent, humble, not from a wealthy family, no vocal training. Just a
| natural-born singer with an ability to reach people with her songs.

She's definitely one of my favorites this season. Thankfully no runs all over the
place. There's something about her that reminds me a bit of Melinda Doolittle.

| >young Lauren Spencer-Smith’s unexpected mature and
| >intense “The Joke,” which was serious stuff;
|
| Love it!

Another favorite.

| >and Louis Knight’s
| >redemptive cover of Lewis Capaldi’s “Hold Me While You Wait” that gave
| >Luke chills.
|
| I'm not a big fan of Louis. I just don't get him what the judges rave
| about. Maybe as the season progresses. IF it does.

I think he's pretty good, but a few of the other guys are better.

| > also loved a performance by another Makayla, Phillips — a “daggone
| >Ariana Grande,” according to Luke — an epic rendition of Lizzo’s
| >ambitious and over-the-top “Cuz I Love You.” I don’t want her
| >doing predictable Mariah/Whitney/Adele ballads all season.
|
| I totally disagree. They should sing songs that they are best at in
| the genre that they like. The easiest way to screw up is to sing
| stuff that they don't normally like to sing. They will never feel the
| music doing that.

As long as contestants don't try to mimic the originals, I also think they should
sing what they're comfortable with. Even good singers can't all "sing the
phonebook."

Larc
MummyChunk
2020-03-25 18:40:34 UTC
Post by Zob
the genre that they like. The easiest way to screw up is to sin
stuff that they don't normally like to sing. They will never fee
th
Post by Zob
music doing that
IMO - some of the best American Idol performances came from th
singers being pushed to do something different..

This is a response to the post seen at
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=536075790#53607579
Zob
2020-03-26 08:48:40 UTC
Post by Zob
the genre that they like. The easiest way to screw up is to sing
stuff that they don't normally like to sing. They will never feel
the
Post by Zob
music doing that.
IMO - some of the best American Idol performances came from the
singers being pushed to do something different...
Can you give an example of what you mean?
MummyChunk
2020-03-30 19:42:09 UTC
Post by Zob
Post by Zob
the genre that they like. The easiest way to screw up is t
sin
Post by Zob
Post by Zob
stuff that they don't normally like to sing. They will neve
fee
Post by Zob
Post by Zob
th
music doing that
IMO - some of the best American Idol performances came from th
singers being pushed to do something different..
Can you give an example of what you mean
Just wanted to let you know I saw this message - composing a mor
thought out response and I'll post later

Zob
2020-03-26 08:46:26 UTC
Post by Larc
| >young Lauren Spencer-Smith’s unexpected mature and
| >intense “The Joke,” which was serious stuff;
|
| Love it!
Another favorite.
The first time I ever heard that song, "The Joke", was when Benicio
sang it on AGT last regular season. It was so impressive.
I remember that along with his name not only because it was a great
performance but also because that kid is so unusual. I honestly
didn't realize until the next AGT round that he is a boy.