A "Thank You"
SeaShel
2004-05-22 20:59:44 UTC
To all those who are still posting civilized and good-natured opinions!

Sorry to complain, but this ng is becoming less enjoyable by the day, with
all the ugly and mean-spirited posts. Reading this junk just highlights the
advantages of unsubscribing for the summer. :(

I have though, *truly enjoyed* the other posters, and their posts; the
insights, conversations, and discussions. Thanks to you all who make this
little world go 'round...looking forward to another season!

:)
--
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply
Ar Q
2004-05-22 22:52:13 UTC
Another ugly and mean-spirited post!!!
Indigo
2004-05-23 02:25:40 UTC
And that post is exactly the reason why this newsgroup is a nasty place at
times.
SeaShel
2004-05-23 08:49:08 UTC
Post by Ar Q
Another ugly and mean-spirited post!!!
???

What do you interpret as my being ugly and/or mean-spirited?

I expressed my gratitude for all the folks who are posting in a way that
inspires a productive and generally positive dialogue. Not always happy
endings, but useful and helpful to our segment of the population as a whole.
You'd be correct to say that in Usenet there is no requirement for
usefulness or helpfulness or unity (or rainbows...), but neither are they
prohibited.

Usenet is a place where anyone can share thoughts without censor or
restriction, right? That's great! I understand and accept the right of
folks to have opinions/thoughts and post them here, but I, too, have the
right to do the same, which I did without pointing fingers at anyone -
positive or negative.

In the words of Emperor Joseph III, "Does anyone...*like* this? Are we
hearing Salieri when we could be playing Mozart?

My apologies for stirring up your personal hornet's nest...I truly harbor no
ill will.
--
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply
Indigo
2004-05-24 00:19:07 UTC
No, I think he meant that his cuss-subject post was the "another
ugly and mean-spirited post", not your original post.

I can't believe all the nasty remarks I read on this board at times.
Are these folks really that hateful in real life too?
*sigh*
SeaShel
2004-05-24 07:53:32 UTC
Post by SeaShel
Post by Ar Q
Another ugly and mean-spirited post!!!
???
What do you interpret as my being ugly and/or mean-spirited?
Ahh...I get it, I think. :)

Most of the remarks I have a problem with concern the non-musical opinions
of Fantasia, but the fact that she is so polarizing confirms her artistic
character...IMO.

I'm counting on the negativity to die down once the show is over!
--
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply
fmomoon
2004-05-22 23:12:49 UTC
Post by SeaShel
To all those who are still posting civilized and good-natured opinions!
Sorry to complain, but this ng is becoming less enjoyable by the day, with
all the ugly and mean-spirited posts. Reading this junk just highlights the
advantages of unsubscribing for the summer. :(
I have though, *truly enjoyed* the other posters, and their posts; the
insights, conversations, and discussions. Thanks to you all who make this
little world go 'round...looking forward to another season!
:)
--
Michelle
(SeaShel)
free the fish to reply
Thanks, Michelle. I like the sensible people, too. Discussions can take
place without cussing, I feel. I don't know if I'll be around much this
summer but I'm sure I'll see you over in that other group. :)
--
fmomoon
If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future plans. (Woody Allen)
JadeEyes
2004-05-23 00:28:07 UTC
Post by SeaShel
advantages of unsubscribing for the summer. :(
I have though, *truly enjoyed* the other posters, and their posts; the
insights, conversations, and discussions. Thanks to you all who make this
little world go 'round...looking forward to another season!
Thanks, Michelle. I like the sensible people, too. Discussions can take
place without cussing, I feel. I don't know if I'll be around much this
summer but I'm sure I'll see you over in that other group. :)
Thanks, Michelle, for putting in words how I feel too. It's really
dispiriting to see that people can't seem to find a way to promote the
singers they like and prefer and debate various opinions and offer
constructive critique w/o running down other singers and other NG
participants, using ugly, vulgar language, making the most mean-spirited,
hate-filled comments. Like you, I really appreciate it when I come across a
post that has something constructive and intelligent to say, and can offer
debate that's not derogatory to peformer or poster...mainly because you've
found something really special when you hit on a post like that.

I was so disheartened by it, I almost posted to ask if anyone knows of an
alternative forum that respects the custom of civility a little better. I
notice the Fox website board is only marginally better. I think someone at
Fox goes through periodically and removes the most offensive crap. But then
I remember this is the internet we're talking about and what a naive
question that would be.

But I want to give my thanks, too, to the folks that make the effort to
bring the discussion out of the gutter.

Jade Eyes
Suzanne D.
2004-05-25 08:50:25 UTC
Post by JadeEyes
It's really
dispiriting to see that people can't seem to find a way to promote the
singers they like and prefer and debate various opinions and offer
constructive critique w/o running down other singers and other NG
participants, using ugly, vulgar language, making the most mean-spirited,
hate-filled comments.
Like you do, you mean?
--S.
Auntie Em
2004-05-25 10:20:52 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by JadeEyes
It's really
dispiriting to see that people can't seem to find a way to promote
the singers they like and prefer and debate various opinions and
offer constructive critique w/o running down other singers and other
NG participants, using ugly, vulgar language, making the most
mean-spirited, hate-filled comments.
Like you do, you mean?
--S.
Ah, it's not just me..................

--
Post by Suzanne D.
^,,^< Miracle, who definitely has serious "bitch moments"
at times, but is generally a nice person in cyberspace.

Well, unless I'm pissed off....................... LOL
Suzanne D.
2004-05-25 17:57:38 UTC
Post by Auntie Em
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by JadeEyes
It's really
dispiriting to see that people can't seem to find a way to promote
the singers they like and prefer and debate various opinions and
offer constructive critique w/o running down other singers and other
NG participants, using ugly, vulgar language, making the most
mean-spirited, hate-filled comments.
Like you do, you mean?
--S.
Ah, it's not just me..................
I was thinking of saying something about pots and kettles to the person who
has called someone "FuckFace" and who has recently written such lines as:

***********
you deserve to be severely punished in some particularly
unpleasant way. I hope it comes to you someday.

So, that really workd for you, didn't it, Clueless?

What an idiotic thing to say.

You're the piece of shit.

Fuck off ignorant obscene little shit.

Jeez, how shallow. Aren't you embarrassed?

Maybe you're not get laid enough.

You clearly have some "issues" whacko.
****************

(Suzanne back again) Somehow I can't see the regs saying the above stuff.
Except maybe Elton if he gets really, really pissed!
--S.
Elton Dumont
2004-05-31 13:32:06 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by Auntie Em
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by JadeEyes
[...]
Well......I have to agree that most of the times I'm a normal, humble and
lovable sort of bloke, but if my gander gets up (settle down
Suzanne....that's not my gander..that's something else..) I tend to spew
some venom. I do feel I am justified in doing so, and that the people have
it coming. And the only recent one was Carla. Other than that, I'm
adorable and all the women folk love me, and Rocky, Dan and Bob are jealous
of that.

Elton.
Dan White
2004-05-31 14:49:21 UTC
Post by Elton Dumont
Well......I have to agree that most of the times I'm a normal, humble and
lovable sort of bloke, but if my gander gets up (settle down
Suzanne....that's not my gander..that's something else..) I tend to spew
some venom. I do feel I am justified in doing so, and that the people have
it coming. And the only recent one was Carla. Other than that, I'm
adorable and all the women folk love me, and Rocky, Dan and Bob are jealous
of that.
I think it is all the transgender "women" that are in love with you.

dwhite
Elton Dumont
2004-05-31 18:25:48 UTC
Post by Elton Dumont
of that.
I think it is all the transgender "women" that are in love with you.
dwhite
Jealousy is an ugly thing....but you're a would-be pool player...you should
have more class.... :)

Elton.
Suzanne D.
2004-05-31 22:35:14 UTC
Post by Elton Dumont
but if my gander gets up (settle down
Suzanne....that's not my gander..that's something else..)
Oh.

Bummer.
--S.

Rocky
2004-05-23 03:06:29 UTC
Post by SeaShel
To all those who are still posting civilized and good-natured opinions!
Sorry to complain, but this ng is becoming less enjoyable by the day, with
all the ugly and mean-spirited posts. Reading this junk just highlights the
advantages of unsubscribing for the summer. :(
I have though, *truly enjoyed* the other posters, and their posts; the
insights, conversations, and discussions. Thanks to you all who make this
little world go 'round...looking forward to another season!
:)
I hope that includes me! I've had a lot of fun, but will also be
dropping out 'til next season - though not until I put up the link to
the pictures of my trip that I promised.

Rocky, who also thanks the "good guys"
Elton Dumont
2004-05-23 16:53:33 UTC
Post by Rocky
Post by SeaShel
To all those who are still posting civilized and good-natured opinions!
Sorry to complain, but this ng is becoming less enjoyable by the day, with
all the ugly and mean-spirited posts. Reading this junk just highlights the
advantages of unsubscribing for the summer. :(
I have though, *truly enjoyed* the other posters, and their posts; the
insights, conversations, and discussions. Thanks to you all who make this
little world go 'round...looking forward to another season!
:)
I hope that includes me! I've had a lot of fun, but will also be
dropping out 'til next season - though not until I put up the link to
the pictures of my trip that I promised.
Rocky, who also thanks the "good guys"
It's gotten to the point where I am finding myself saying, why reply?
What's the point? I will say that I am to the point where I am looking
forward to the off season, where I know the regulars will make this a
pleasant place to be.

Elton.
Sanna
2004-05-23 18:43:42 UTC
Post by Elton Dumont
It's gotten to the point where I am finding myself saying, why reply?
What's the point? I will say that I am to the point where I am looking
forward to the off season, where I know the regulars will make this a
pleasant place to be.

I really can't wait for off season. I never thought I'd say that after last
year, but I miss all the "regulars". :(( We need to do a "Where are they
now" for all the missing. LOL.

H&S are off on a well deserved vacation. I don't know where Patrick and
Deanna are. Les! is not here much. I don't see much of Bob, but I know it
must be a busy year coming up for him. Even Kittyn isn't posting as much.
This ng has been inundated with some real junk, has in many ways completely
dumbed down, and my kf has never been busier. :(

I'm just glad that you and some of the others are keeping around. You have
no idea how much I look forward to reading the reg's posts.
Elton Dumont
2004-05-23 21:07:24 UTC
Post by Elton Dumont
no idea how much I look forward to reading the reg's posts.
Thanks. Yes I miss those people as well. Come on Kittyn I saw one post
this week, where are you, and why aren't you posting more? Adam said Deanna
was having computer problems, and Patrick looks like he fell off the face of
the globe. I assume Bob and Karrde are busy (maybe with each other, maybe
not). I'll leave that to the conspiracy theorists.

Elton.
Patrick Null
2004-05-25 03:57:15 UTC
Post by Sanna
Post by Elton Dumont
no idea how much I look forward to reading the reg's posts.
Thanks. Yes I miss those people as well. Come on Kittyn I saw one post
this week, where are you, and why aren't you posting more? Adam said Deanna
was having computer problems, and Patrick looks like he fell off the face of
the globe.
Yes, it's true. I did fall off the face; it was hard climbing back on, let
me tell you.

Sorry for disappearing; I had to take a break and recharge my posting
batteries. I had no idea that people even knew I was gone.

Since coming back, I have noticed two things:

1)There is a lot of garbage on this NG. So, guess what that means? Yup,
I'll have to stick around to offer some sane opinions admidst all the
insanity. Yup, you're stuck with me.

2)There is ten thousand posts now. WTF??? I leave for a while, and there
is TEN THOUSAND? What the hell are you people doing to me????

Well, I better be cracking. Yup, I plan on reading every one.

Take care everyone.
Suzanne D.
2004-05-25 08:53:49 UTC
Post by Patrick Null
2)There is ten thousand posts now. WTF??? I leave for a while, and there
is TEN THOUSAND?
That's because there are thousands of ways of expressing the sentiments,
"Fantasia is a crack whore" and "Diana is fat."
--S.
Patrick Null
And "I can't understand what Fantasia is singing."
JadeEyes
2004-05-23 22:55:09 UTC
Post by Sanna
no idea how much I look forward to reading the reg's posts.
I've only been looking in a few weeks now, so you have no idea how relieved
I am to hear that this garbage posting is a relatively new phenomenon. Sad,
but at least it's good to know it's not the norm. Wonder what accounts for
it.

Jade Eyes
Sanna
2004-05-23 23:32:50 UTC
Post by Sanna
no idea how much I look forward to reading the reg's posts.
I've only been looking in a few weeks now, so you have no idea how relieved
I am to hear that this garbage posting is a relatively new phenomenon. Sad,
but at least it's good to know it's not the norm. Wonder what accounts for
it.
Jade Eyes
Stick around Jade!!! It's not the norm at all, and it's very pleasant
having great new people.
Bob Rudd
2004-05-24 04:15:52 UTC
Post by Sanna
H&S are off on a well deserved vacation. I don't know where Patrick and
Deanna are. Les! is not here much. I don't see much of Bob, but I know it
must be a busy year coming up for him. Even Kittyn isn't posting as much.
This ng has been inundated with some real junk, has in many ways completely
dumbed down, and my kf has never been busier. :(
Coming up for me???? ;-) It's already a very busy year.....

It's funny, I was thinking about starting a thread about how
much I am looking forward to the ng in the post AI3 time frame
due to the way it devolved during the AI3 season. I realize
the ng would/had to grow and expand but it sure has gotten a
far way away from whence it once was.

OTOH, we need Rocky to hang in after the show and not go away
until next year. It's his duty as a regular.
I hope we can all be good neighbors online!
fmomoon
2004-05-24 05:06:27 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
Coming up for me???? ;-) It's already a very busy year.....
It's funny, I was thinking about starting a thread about how
much I am looking forward to the ng in the post AI3 time frame
due to the way it devolved during the AI3 season. I realize
the ng would/had to grow and expand but it sure has gotten a
far way away from whence it once was.
OTOH, we need Rocky to hang in after the show and not go away
until next year. It's his duty as a regular.
<fmomoon raises her right hand> I promise, I'll stick around as long as you
guys do.
Sanna
2004-05-24 12:44:43 UTC
Post by fmomoon
<fmomoon raises her right hand> I promise, I'll stick around as long as
you guys do.

I was about to jump in and say Fmomoon too! We did miss you during the off
season.
fmomoon
2004-05-25 01:35:09 UTC
Post by Sanna
Post by fmomoon
<fmomoon raises her right hand> I promise, I'll stick around as long as
you guys do.
I was about to jump in and say Fmomoon too! We did miss you during the off
season.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to the silly traffic to go away. <sigh>
Rocky
2004-05-25 01:01:23 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
OTOH, we need Rocky to hang in after the show and not go away
until next year. It's his duty as a regular.
I'll consider it :-)

Rocky, who's got other things to do ... really!
fmomoon
2004-05-25 01:35:48 UTC
Post by Rocky
Post by Bob Rudd
OTOH, we need Rocky to hang in after the show and not go away
until next year. It's his duty as a regular.
I'll consider it :-)
Rocky, who's got other things to do ... really!
<gulp> You have.....a life??? Wow, I wonder what that is like....
Suzanne D.
2004-05-25 08:52:13 UTC
Post by Elton Dumont
It's gotten to the point where I am finding myself saying, why reply?
Heck, for me it's gotten to the point where I say, Why read? You wouldn't
believe how many threads go automatically marked as read by me these days.
--S.
Elton Dumont
2004-05-25 10:43:44 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by Elton Dumont
It's gotten to the point where I am finding myself saying, why reply?
Heck, for me it's gotten to the point where I say, Why read? You wouldn't
believe how many threads go automatically marked as read by me these days.
--S.
Me too. I usually give a new thread the benefit of the doubt, but if I know
the poster I read it. If I don't know the poster, it's right click/mark as
read/ smile.

Elton.
Karen O'Mara
2004-05-25 22:37:03 UTC
Post by Elton Dumont
Me too. I usually give a new thread the benefit of the doubt, but if I know
the poster I read it. If I don't know the poster, it's right click/mark as
read/ smile.
Gee, maybe this newsgroup needs a moderator or a Queen Bee... quite
clique-y, perhaps snobbish, and not open to new participants?
Killfiles, rage away!

Karen
Patrick Null
2004-05-26 02:19:41 UTC
Post by Karen O'Mara
Post by Elton Dumont
Me too. I usually give a new thread the benefit of the doubt, but if I know
the poster I read it. If I don't know the poster, it's right click/mark as
read/ smile.
Gee, maybe this newsgroup needs a moderator or a Queen Bee... quite
clique-y, perhaps snobbish, and not open to new participants?
Killfiles, rage away!
I think you misunderstand, Karen. Most of us have been newbies at one time
or another, and we(the ones who actually want to participate and not cause
chaos) have been warmly welcomed. This is a very welcoming group.

I don't want to speak for Elton, but I assume he is just tired of all the
vulgar, rude, trollish posts that has happened as of late.

Believe me, if you are respectful and want to participate good naturedly,
then ATAI will welcome you with open arms. But if you like to call someone
"cunt-face" or some other vulgar term just because someone disagreed with
you, then they better get acquainted with a lot of killfiles.

Nice to meet you, btw. :-)
Patrick Null
2004-05-25 18:49:09 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by Elton Dumont
It's gotten to the point where I am finding myself saying, why reply?
Heck, for me it's gotten to the point where I say, Why read? You wouldn't
believe how many threads go automatically marked as read by me these days.
I might have to do that with ten thousand posts. I'll be reading for the
rest of my natural born life otherwise.
Elton Dumont
2004-05-31 13:26:32 UTC
Post by Patrick Null
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by Elton Dumont
It's gotten to the point where I am finding myself saying, why reply?
Heck, for me it's gotten to the point where I say, Why read? You wouldn't
believe how many threads go automatically marked as read by me these days.
I might have to do that with ten thousand posts. I'll be reading for the
rest of my natural born life otherwise.
Welcome to the club, my brother. Don't forget the meeting on Tuesday nights
( moved back to Tuesday nights now that AI season is over). This week we
learn our new secret handshake.

Elton
suny
2004-05-23 16:01:08 UTC
I agree!

This would be a much better place if we could find the "rainbows"
without having to traipse through the "garbage" to do so....

BUt, in an un-moderated ng, I guess that is impossible.

I came to this ng hoping to find a group of people that enjoys AI as
much as I do. And I have in many respects. I now try to ignore the
"others" who are here simply to disrupt. I find the vulgar language
immature and offensive, and have said so.

OTOH, _if all those that _are here for good conversation, sharing & even
debating in a constructive, civilized way, leave, then all that would be
left is the "garbage".

and that would be even sadder.....

suny, who is getting out her wading boots, and staying 'till the
finale.... <maybe>:)
Suzanne D.
2004-05-25 08:47:30 UTC
Post by SeaShel
To all those who are still posting civilized and good-natured opinions!
Sorry to complain, but this ng is becoming less enjoyable by the day, with
all the ugly and mean-spirited posts. Reading this junk just highlights the
advantages of unsubscribing for the summer. :(
See, here is where you would be making a mistake. The loonies disappear
over the summer, leaving the regulars (who are by and large the good-natured
ones you talk about) to have a good time chattering about silly things all
summer. If you unsubscribe now, you'll miss the good stuff!
--S.
Kathy
2004-05-25 14:12:10 UTC
Post by SeaShel
advantages of unsubscribing for the summer. :(
See, here is where you would be making a mistake. The loonies disappear
over the summer, leaving the regulars (who are by and large the good-natured
ones you talk about) to have a good time chattering about silly things all
summer. If you unsubscribe now, you'll miss the good stuff!
--S.
I've been on another newsgroup for several years so I'm pretty used to the
hate-filled posts that appear from time to time. I pretty much ignore them
and focus on those threads that appeal to me. Mostly though, there are
people I will read and people I will ignore in any thread. I enjoy the
company here and look forward to the summer months and getting to know
everyone better.

Kathy Wajerski
Karen O'Mara
2004-05-25 22:38:28 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
See, here is where you would be making a mistake. The loonies disappear
over the summer, leaving the regulars (who are by and large the good-natured
ones you talk about) to have a good time chattering about silly things all
summer. If you unsubscribe now, you'll miss the good stuff!
Soooo, what do you guys talk about after season? Baseball?

Karen
Dan White
2004-05-26 00:18:38 UTC
Post by Karen O'Mara
Post by Suzanne D.
See, here is where you would be making a mistake. The loonies disappear
over the summer, leaving the regulars (who are by and large the good-natured
ones you talk about) to have a good time chattering about silly things all
summer. If you unsubscribe now, you'll miss the good stuff!
Soooo, what do you guys talk about after season? Baseball?
We can't tell you until you earn a secret decoder ring. First you have to
purchase 10 boxes of General Mills brand cereals, and send your proofs of
purchase to Suzanne D. c/o Postmaster, West Burlap, Utah. You will then be
sent a map with directions to find your ring. I suggest you buy snowshoes,
a bowie knife, an rapelling gear in preparation for your journey. Then, and
only then, will you be privy to the AI sanctum sanctorum.

Go in peace,
dwhite
Bob Rudd
I hope we can all be good neighbors online!
Karen O'Mara

Karen
Suzanne D.
2004-05-26 04:15:41 UTC
Post by Karen O'Mara
Soooo, what do you guys talk about after season? Baseball?
Only the most controversial of topics. You won't find any "What is your
favorite iced tea?" threads around here in the off-season! If it doesn't
pertain to religion, racism, parenting, or IQ tests, it goes ignored.
--S.
Patrick Null
I'm thinking of bringing up the death penalty and abortion after AI ends.
Sanna
2004-05-26 13:39:55 UTC
Post by Patrick Null
I'm thinking of bringing up the death penalty and abortion after AI ends.
Don't forget. It's an election year. I'm sure we'll have plenty to
laugh....I mean *talk* about in the summer/fall.

;)
Suzanne D.
2004-05-26 20:16:57 UTC
Post by Patrick Null
I'm thinking of bringing up the death penalty and abortion after AI ends.
Other suggested topics:

** Meat: Is it murder?
** Who is the stupidest ATAI regular?
** Clay is gay.
** John Kerry.
** Auntie Em is a crack whore.
** Alzheimer's disease is curable unless you are an idiot.
** Anyone ever gone to a kitten toss? Did you enjoy it?
** Bosom Buddies was the best show EVER.
** Midgets, dykes, negroes, and micks.
** Short people are smarter than tall people.
** What do you mean you're a virgin?
** I found Sanna's identity and home address and I'm not afraid to use it.
** So, that Fear Factor is something else.
** How often has Bob Rudd been totally wrong?
** I am the greatest person on earth. Now shut up.

--S.
Alise
2004-05-26 22:45:54 UTC
Woohoo..now you're talking my language!
Auntie Em
2004-05-27 08:28:34 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by Patrick Null
I'm thinking of bringing up the death penalty and abortion after AI ends.
** Meat: Is it murder?
** Who is the stupidest ATAI regular?
** Clay is gay.
** John Kerry.
** Auntie Em is a crack whore.
You got the drug-of-choice wrong. <sweet smile>

:D
--S.
Suzanne D.
2004-05-27 22:48:51 UTC
Post by Auntie Em
Post by Suzanne D.
** Auntie Em is a crack whore.
You got the drug-of-choice wrong. <sweet smile>
See what kinds of arguments we could have here?
--S.
Elton Dumont
2004-05-29 13:08:14 UTC
Post by Patrick Null
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by Karen O'Mara
Soooo, what do you guys talk about after season? Baseball?
Only the most controversial of topics. You won't find any "What is your
favorite iced tea?" threads around here in the off-season! If it doesn't
pertain to religion, racism, parenting, or IQ tests, it goes ignored.
I'm thinking of bringing up the death penalty and abortion after AI ends.
I'm game....We, few....we happy few. We band of brothers and sisters...if
the world would listen to us (me) it would be a better place.....

Elton