OT: High School Kids No Longer Shower after Playing Sports or Gym Class?
zob
2009-08-17 05:05:42 UTC
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...

http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no_w.html#more
---
Zob
Suzanne D.
2009-08-17 06:53:51 UTC
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no_w.html#more
I don't think that really that weird. I would never have showered in front
of someone else at that age. That's the point in your life where you're at
your most absolute insecure about your body--the WORST thing you can do is
force a kid to reveal it to everyone else! My son's P.E. requires special
clothes, which they change out of when the class is done. The odor
generally sticks to the clothes anyway, so they can get by for a few hours
without showering.
--S.
fmomoon
2009-08-17 07:03:00 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no_w.html#more
I don't think that really that weird. I would never have showered in
front of someone else at that age. That's the point in your life where
you're at your most absolute insecure about your body--the WORST thing you
can do is force a kid to reveal it to everyone else! My son's P.E.
requires special clothes, which they change out of when the class is done.
The odor generally sticks to the clothes anyway, so they can get by for a
few hours without showering.
--S.
I realize that zob and I are a bit older than you are, Suzanne, but back
when we were in high school, showering after PE was required. It was no big
thing. I suppose that maybe we weren't as body conscious back then as
generations who came later. I think that this was a good thing. Given a
choice (at least for a girl) between stinking (which I was very conscious
of) and showing in front of other girls, yeah, I'd shower.
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
zob
2009-08-17 09:35:58 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
It may be a chicken-or-the-egg thing also. Are kids more ashamed of
their bodies ergo don't want to be seen by others, or is it because
they're not seeing all they body types that are making them
self-consious of their own? Just a thought. As you said, in our
generation we grew up showering after gym class, and after the first
few days or whatever of it, it becomes "normal" and most lose their
self-sonsiousness after a while. Which is a good thing IMO.
Post by fmomoon
I think that this was a good thing. Given a
choice (at least for a girl) between stinking (which I was very conscious
of) and showing in front of other girls, yeah, I'd shower.
Shoot, I was a scrawny, tall gangly thing, but I hung around the
showers even when I wasn't showering! :-D
---
Zob
topcat
2009-08-17 11:39:13 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
I was more worried about my locker being robbed while I was in the shower,
than having to take a shower.

TC
Vandar
2009-08-17 14:02:27 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Don't forget, back in your day every kid didn't have cell phones with
cameras either.
Showering in school should be abolished for that reason alone.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 14:26:28 UTC
Post by Vandar
every kid didn't have cell phones with
cameras either.
Showering in school should be abolished for that reason alone.
That's a point that I've never considered, Vandar. At first thought, I
find myself agreeing with you for that reason alone. YouTube/Facebook
"cute" stuff that crosses way over the line but easily and readily
considered by juveniles as appropriate (and with no guilt associated
with either YouTube/Facebook as merely being the vehicles for the
improper actions).
If not now, when?
Thanatos
No, cell phones in school should be abolished for that reason alone.
Vandar
2009-08-17 15:47:41 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
If I'm not mistaken, many schools do have a policy banning cell phone
use during class hours. I know my kid's high school did.
That said, a school policy banning cell phone use during school hours
does not mean the kids won't use their cell phones during school hours.
However, banning showers during school hours will ensure that some 15
year old girl won't have candid nude pics of herself posted all over the
internet and distributed among her classmates.
zob
2009-08-17 16:04:09 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
If that happens, it needs to be dealt with like any other criminal
activity.

A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
---
Zob
Vandar
2009-08-17 16:16:01 UTC
Post by zob
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Meanwhile, the devastated teenager who was forced to take a shower in
school hangs herself in her closet after school.

I always told my kid: Under NO circumstances are you to ever shower or
change clothes at school.
Post by zob
A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
But we don't have a policy *requiring* teenage girls to be naked in the
back seat of a car. Some schools DO have a policy requiring them to be
naked at school. And it isn't just other students they have to worry
about. There are even teachers out there who have been busted for
surreptitiously recording kids in compromising situations.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 16:19:07 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Our kids schools allowed cell phones but they had to be on vibrate and
have a vibration that wasn't, in itself, a de facto ring tone, loud
enough to be heard. It's not often, but there are times when a call
(between classes) or a text message during a class might have, and was,
necessary.
If not now, when?
zob
2009-08-17 16:01:12 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Great minds and all that ...

I said the same thing.
---
Zob
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 16:17:07 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
A good point as well, Thanatos.
If not now, when?
zob
2009-08-17 16:00:09 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Nah, cell phones in school should be abolished, not showers after
sports!
---
Zob
SLGreg
2009-08-17 16:13:17 UTC
Post by zob
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
I had no idea showers were becoming abolished since the 90's!!

I remember well my 14 year old, Freshman dread, with the thought of
showering with all those hairy, and, ummm...developed, 18 y/o Seniors!
After a day or two, being nude was like the great equalizer, your
prurient curiosity was satisfied and it was no big deal. Not one bit.

Actually, in hindsight, I think it was a healthy experience, not only
physically (for the sweat factor), but psychologically, as well. I
understand about the cellphone thing, though. I agree, there is no
reason for a kid to have a phone on campus (but you know kids - they'd
sneak them on campus and take blackmail nudes anyway).

-greg
Thanatos
2009-08-17 12:20:20 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_
no_w.html#more
I don't think that really that weird. I would never have showered in front
of someone else at that age. That's the point in your life where you're at
your most absolute insecure about your body--the WORST thing you can do is
force a kid to reveal it to everyone else!
It teaches you how to suck it and do stuff that you don't want to do. We
seem to be eliminating all of life's lessons from schools these days
because we're so worried about little Johnny and Jenny's self esteem.
Thanatos
2009-08-17 12:18:56 UTC
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no
_w.html#more
I was reading an article yesterday about a man who grabbed a 14-year-old
girl's arm to keep her from walking in front of a moving car. He took
the time to give her a quick lecture about paying attention and looking
where you're going and ended up being charged with (and convicted of)
"unlawful restraint of a minor" for his trouble. The cherry on top of
that crap sundae is that "unlawful restraint of a minor" is a sexual
offense in that state, so now the guy is a sex offender for the rest of
his life, has to register with the state, can only live in certain
areas, etc.

Fantastic, huh?
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 14:23:57 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no
_w.html#more
I was reading an article yesterday about a man who grabbed a 14-year-old
girl's arm to keep her from walking in front of a moving car. He took
the time to give her a quick lecture about paying attention and looking
where you're going and ended up being charged with (and convicted of)
"unlawful restraint of a minor" for his trouble. The cherry on top of
that crap sundae is that "unlawful restraint of a minor" is a sexual
offense in that state, so now the guy is a sex offender for the rest of
his life, has to register with the state, can only live in certain
areas, etc.
Fantastic, huh?
Infriggincredible. I think I'll take Oregon off the list of possible
retirement states.
If not now, when?
zob
2009-08-17 16:06:42 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no
_w.html#more
I was reading an article yesterday about a man who grabbed a 14-year-old
girl's arm to keep her from walking in front of a moving car. He took
the time to give her a quick lecture about paying attention and looking
where you're going and ended up being charged with (and convicted of)
"unlawful restraint of a minor" for his trouble. The cherry on top of
that crap sundae is that "unlawful restraint of a minor" is a sexual
offense in that state, so now the guy is a sex offender for the rest of
his life, has to register with the state, can only live in certain
areas, etc.
Fantastic, huh?
Whatever happened to the "Good Samaritan" law that protects citizens
who do good deeds from stupid things like this?
---