OT: High School Kids No Longer Shower after Playing Sports or Gym Class?
zob
2009-08-17 05:05:42 UTC
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...

http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no_w.html#more
---
Zob
Suzanne D.
2009-08-17 06:53:51 UTC
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no_w.html#more
I don't think that really that weird. I would never have showered in front
of someone else at that age. That's the point in your life where you're at
your most absolute insecure about your body--the WORST thing you can do is
force a kid to reveal it to everyone else! My son's P.E. requires special
clothes, which they change out of when the class is done. The odor
generally sticks to the clothes anyway, so they can get by for a few hours
without showering.
--S.
fmomoon
2009-08-17 07:03:00 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no_w.html#more
I don't think that really that weird. I would never have showered in
front of someone else at that age. That's the point in your life where
you're at your most absolute insecure about your body--the WORST thing you
can do is force a kid to reveal it to everyone else! My son's P.E.
requires special clothes, which they change out of when the class is done.
The odor generally sticks to the clothes anyway, so they can get by for a
few hours without showering.
--S.
I realize that zob and I are a bit older than you are, Suzanne, but back
when we were in high school, showering after PE was required. It was no big
thing. I suppose that maybe we weren't as body conscious back then as
generations who came later. I think that this was a good thing. Given a
choice (at least for a girl) between stinking (which I was very conscious
of) and showing in front of other girls, yeah, I'd shower.
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
zob
2009-08-17 09:35:58 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
It may be a chicken-or-the-egg thing also. Are kids more ashamed of
their bodies ergo don't want to be seen by others, or is it because
they're not seeing all they body types that are making them
self-consious of their own? Just a thought. As you said, in our
generation we grew up showering after gym class, and after the first
few days or whatever of it, it becomes "normal" and most lose their
self-sonsiousness after a while. Which is a good thing IMO.
Post by fmomoon
I think that this was a good thing. Given a
choice (at least for a girl) between stinking (which I was very conscious
of) and showing in front of other girls, yeah, I'd shower.
Shoot, I was a scrawny, tall gangly thing, but I hung around the
showers even when I wasn't showering! :-D
---
Zob
topcat
2009-08-17 11:39:13 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
I was more worried about my locker being robbed while I was in the shower,
than having to take a shower.

TC
Vandar
2009-08-17 14:02:27 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Don't forget, back in your day every kid didn't have cell phones with
cameras either.
Showering in school should be abolished for that reason alone.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 14:26:28 UTC
Post by Vandar
every kid didn't have cell phones with
cameras either.
Showering in school should be abolished for that reason alone.
That's a point that I've never considered, Vandar. At first thought, I
find myself agreeing with you for that reason alone. YouTube/Facebook
"cute" stuff that crosses way over the line but easily and readily
considered by juveniles as appropriate (and with no guilt associated
with either YouTube/Facebook as merely being the vehicles for the
improper actions).
If not now, when?
Thanatos
No, cell phones in school should be abolished for that reason alone.
Vandar
2009-08-17 15:47:41 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
If I'm not mistaken, many schools do have a policy banning cell phone
use during class hours. I know my kid's high school did.
That said, a school policy banning cell phone use during school hours
does not mean the kids won't use their cell phones during school hours.
However, banning showers during school hours will ensure that some 15
year old girl won't have candid nude pics of herself posted all over the
internet and distributed among her classmates.
zob
2009-08-17 16:04:09 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
If that happens, it needs to be dealt with like any other criminal
activity.

A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
---
Zob
Vandar
2009-08-17 16:16:01 UTC
Post by zob
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Meanwhile, the devastated teenager who was forced to take a shower in
school hangs herself in her closet after school.

I always told my kid: Under NO circumstances are you to ever shower or
change clothes at school.
Post by zob
A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
But we don't have a policy *requiring* teenage girls to be naked in the
back seat of a car. Some schools DO have a policy requiring them to be
naked at school. And it isn't just other students they have to worry
about. There are even teachers out there who have been busted for
surreptitiously recording kids in compromising situations.
b***@gmail.com
2009-08-17 17:04:05 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
But we don't have a policy *requiring* teenage girls to be naked in the
back seat of a car. Some schools DO have a policy requiring them to be
naked at school. And it isn't just other students they have to worry
about. There are even teachers out there who have been busted for
surreptitiously recording kids in compromising situations.
Right. There should never be a policy mandating showers. There should be
no policy abolishing showers either, though. Those who want to take showers
should be able to take showers after P.E.
SLGreg
2009-08-17 17:08:14 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
But we don't have a policy *requiring* teenage girls to be naked in the
back seat of a car. Some schools DO have a policy requiring them to be
naked at school. And it isn't just other students they have to worry
about. There are even teachers out there who have been busted for
surreptitiously recording kids in compromising situations.
Right. There should never be a policy mandating showers. There should be
no policy abolishing showers either, though. Those who want to take showers
should be able to take showers after P.E.
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.

-greg
Vandar
Those were the guys taking pictures of you. :)
zob
2009-08-17 17:18:27 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
But we don't have a policy *requiring* teenage girls to be naked in the
back seat of a car. Some schools DO have a policy requiring them to be
naked at school. And it isn't just other students they have to worry
about. There are even teachers out there who have been busted for
surreptitiously recording kids in compromising situations.
Right. There should never be a policy mandating showers. There should be
no policy abolishing showers either, though. Those who want to take showers
should be able to take showers after P.E.
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.
Those were the guys taking pictures of you. :)
Yeah, but he liked it. That's different.
---
Zob
SLGreg
2009-08-17 17:20:45 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.
Those were the guys taking pictures of you. :)
With what? Those cameras on tri-pods, where you put the black hood
over your head and held the flash thingee?

-greg
Vandar
2009-08-17 17:23:45 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.
Those were the guys taking pictures of you. :)
With what? Those cameras on tri-pods, where you put the black hood
over your head and held the flash thingee?
I thought about it after I posted. I was picturing a prehistoric bird
chiseling your image on a stone slab, a la the Flintstones.
SLGreg
2009-08-17 17:26:36 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.
Those were the guys taking pictures of you. :)
With what? Those cameras on tri-pods, where you put the black hood
over your head and held the flash thingee?
I thought about it after I posted. I was picturing a prehistoric bird
chiseling your image on a stone slab, a la the Flintstones.
ROTFL. That one woke up Chuy.

-greg
Ron Capik
2009-08-17 17:26:21 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
But we don't have a policy *requiring* teenage girls to be naked in
the back seat of a car. Some schools DO have a policy requiring them
to be naked at school. And it isn't just other students they have to
worry about. There are even teachers out there who have been busted
for surreptitiously recording kids in compromising situations.
Right. There should never be a policy mandating showers. There should be
no policy abolishing showers either, though. Those who want to take showers
should be able to take showers after P.E.
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.
Those were the guys taking pictures of you. :)
Back when I was in school the guys not showering got
to run laps.

Later...

Ron Capik
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 17:26:06 UTC
In article <h6c2i5$cfq$***@news.albasani.net>, ***@gmail.com
says...
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
But we don't have a policy *requiring* teenage girls to be naked in the
back seat of a car. Some schools DO have a policy requiring them to be
naked at school. And it isn't just other students they have to worry
about. There are even teachers out there who have been busted for
surreptitiously recording kids in compromising situations.
Right. There should never be a policy mandating showers. There should be
no policy abolishing showers either, though. Those who want to take showers
should be able to take showers after P.E.
For that matter, we had a high school policy that if you were playing a
JV or Varsity sport, you were excused from gym during the season and
given a study hall. After sports seasons, I recall any number of guys
that were uncomfortable taking showers and didn't do so. Nothing
happened to them, although several of them had not discovered deodorant
at 15-16 and staying away from downwind of them was essential the rest
of the day.
If not now, when?
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 16:19:07 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Our kids schools allowed cell phones but they had to be on vibrate and
have a vibration that wasn't, in itself, a de facto ring tone, loud
enough to be heard. It's not often, but there are times when a call
(between classes) or a text message during a class might have, and was,
necessary.
If not now, when?
SLGreg
2009-08-17 16:25:56 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
If something is so important that a parent or guardian needs to speak
with the child, it should be done so through contacting the main
office. It has nothing whatsoever to do with ring verses vibrate.

Cellphones for student/student contact are wholly unnecessary on K-12
campuses, distracting from a teacher's perspective, and should, IMO,
be banned.

-greg
Vandar
2009-08-17 16:40:00 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
I agree. Even knowing my kid had her phone with her, any time I needed
to contact her about something, I called the main office and left a message.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 16:42:04 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Well.....I see your point greg, though experience has taught us that
there are times when that process, in the past, would break down and it
was necessary or urgent for a message to get through "now"
Post by SLGreg
Cellphones for student/student contact are wholly unnecessary on K-12
campuses, distracting from a teacher's perspective, and should, IMO,
be banned.
-greg
I'll agree up to high school. If the privilege is misused, it can be
handled on a student by student basis. OTOH, if a parent knows a
child's class schedule, either a call then or a text asking him/her to
call at the break, while on "quiet vibrate" can cut through the red tape
and middleman when the need is important and/or urgent.
If not now, when?
SLGreg
2009-08-17 16:45:57 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by SLGreg
Cellphones for student/student contact are wholly unnecessary on K-12
campuses, distracting from a teacher's perspective, and should, IMO,
be banned.
-greg
I'll agree up to high school.
High school is precisely where the preponderance of misuse would
occur.

-greg
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 17:23:25 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by SLGreg
Cellphones for student/student contact are wholly unnecessary on K-12
campuses, distracting from a teacher's perspective, and should, IMO,
be banned.
-greg
I'll agree up to high school.
High school is precisely where the preponderance of misuse would
occur.
-greg
No doubt and I agree with you, greg. I'm just saying that with parents
using good judgement and kids only using it when contacted by a parent,
there's are occasional times when speaking directly and not waiting are
essential. OTOH, if the kid is just chatting away or texting in class
to a buddy, sure, confiscate the phone for the day or until a parent
picks it up.

We're about 95 percent in agreement I'd say on this one, greg. The 5
percent difference can involve pretty important/serious situations.
If not now, when?
zob
2009-08-17 17:17:06 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by SLGreg
Cellphones for student/student contact are wholly unnecessary on K-12
campuses, distracting from a teacher's perspective, and should, IMO,
be banned.
-greg
I'll agree up to high school. If the privilege is misused, it can be
handled on a student by student basis. OTOH, if a parent knows a
child's class schedule, either a call then or a text asking him/her to
call at the break, while on "quiet vibrate" can cut through the red tape
and middleman when the need is important and/or urgent.
If, and an emphasis is on if, cell phones are allowed in school, they
should be kept completely shut off or left in lockers during all
classes. They can be checked for messages during breaks. Amreicans
are ruing the decline in our educational system and the declining
grades of our students and their reduced learning curve. This is one
reason. Whether it rings or vibrates, for a student to check a cell
phone in the middle of an algebra lesson is to give them one more
wrong answer on their next exam. Many people want to blame the
government for our declining school effectiveness ... this is one
thing that they as parents can take responsibility for and change IMO.
---
Zob
Salad
2009-08-17 17:38:17 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Somehow I was able to make it thru high school with out a cell phone.
That may be because they weren't invented at that time. If a parent
needed to talk to their kid, they called the office and the student was
paged.

Like Pandora's Box, it's now too late.

I wonder if kids that posted a nude pic of a classmate on the net could
be arrested as a pedophiles. It wouldn't do much as their records would
be expunged when they hit 18, so there'd have to be more punishment.
Expulsion is a start but not sufficient. Due to the economy, there was
a change in juvenile cases. Kids would get leg bracelets used to track
them. Cost is about $15/day. Typical time served is 30 days with the
bracelet up to 3 months. Before, the state would shoulder the cost.
Now the parents are billed for it. So maybe a financial hit is also
required.

I would not have considered photoing some classmate, but in this day and
age it would be entirely expected by some kids thinking they're being cute.
zob
2009-08-17 16:01:12 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Great minds and all that ...

I said the same thing.
---
Zob
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 16:17:07 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
A good point as well, Thanatos.
If not now, when?
zob
2009-08-17 16:00:09 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Nah, cell phones in school should be abolished, not showers after
sports!
---
Zob
SLGreg
2009-08-17 16:13:17 UTC
Post by zob
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
I had no idea showers were becoming abolished since the 90's!!

I remember well my 14 year old, Freshman dread, with the thought of
showering with all those hairy, and, ummm...developed, 18 y/o Seniors!
After a day or two, being nude was like the great equalizer, your
prurient curiosity was satisfied and it was no big deal. Not one bit.

Actually, in hindsight, I think it was a healthy experience, not only
physically (for the sweat factor), but psychologically, as well. I
understand about the cellphone thing, though. I agree, there is no
reason for a kid to have a phone on campus (but you know kids - they'd
sneak them on campus and take blackmail nudes anyway).

-greg
Thanatos
2009-08-17 12:20:20 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_
no_w.html#more
I don't think that really that weird. I would never have showered in front
of someone else at that age. That's the point in your life where you're at
your most absolute insecure about your body--the WORST thing you can do is
force a kid to reveal it to everyone else!
It teaches you how to suck it and do stuff that you don't want to do. We
seem to be eliminating all of life's lessons from schools these days
because we're so worried about little Johnny and Jenny's self esteem.
b***@gmail.com
Tell us that came out all wrong...
zob
Zob
Vandar
2009-08-17 17:01:06 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_
no_w.html#more
I don't think that really that weird. I would never have showered in front
of someone else at that age. That's the point in your life where you're at
your most absolute insecure about your body--the WORST thing you can do is
force a kid to reveal it to everyone else!
It teaches you how to suck it and do stuff that you don't want to do.
Using that line of thought, so does being strip searched in prison.
There is no lesson to be gained by forcing kids to take showers in school.
Thanatos
2009-08-17 12:18:56 UTC
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no
_w.html#more
I was reading an article yesterday about a man who grabbed a 14-year-old
girl's arm to keep her from walking in front of a moving car. He took
the time to give her a quick lecture about paying attention and looking
where you're going and ended up being charged with (and convicted of)
"unlawful restraint of a minor" for his trouble. The cherry on top of
that crap sundae is that "unlawful restraint of a minor" is a sexual
offense in that state, so now the guy is a sex offender for the rest of
his life, has to register with the state, can only live in certain
areas, etc.

Fantastic, huh?
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 14:23:57 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no
_w.html#more
I was reading an article yesterday about a man who grabbed a 14-year-old
girl's arm to keep her from walking in front of a moving car. He took
the time to give her a quick lecture about paying attention and looking
where you're going and ended up being charged with (and convicted of)
"unlawful restraint of a minor" for his trouble. The cherry on top of
that crap sundae is that "unlawful restraint of a minor" is a sexual
offense in that state, so now the guy is a sex offender for the rest of
his life, has to register with the state, can only live in certain
areas, etc.
Fantastic, huh?
Infriggincredible. I think I'll take Oregon off the list of possible
retirement states.
If not now, when?
zob
2009-08-17 16:06:42 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no
_w.html#more
I was reading an article yesterday about a man who grabbed a 14-year-old
girl's arm to keep her from walking in front of a moving car. He took
the time to give her a quick lecture about paying attention and looking
where you're going and ended up being charged with (and convicted of)
"unlawful restraint of a minor" for his trouble. The cherry on top of
that crap sundae is that "unlawful restraint of a minor" is a sexual
offense in that state, so now the guy is a sex offender for the rest of
his life, has to register with the state, can only live in certain
areas, etc.
Fantastic, huh?
Whatever happened to the "Good Samaritan" law that protects citizens
who do good deeds from stupid things like this?
---
Zob
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 16:20:48 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, zob <zobva1
@ gmail.com> says...
Post by zob
Post by Thanatos
Post by zob
[...]
Golly zob, it depends on the state/DC you live in nowaday in a number of
cases. Thanatos is the lawyer but times have changed, I think, from the
common "Good Samatarian" laws of our youth.
--
If not now, when?