OT: High School Kids No Longer Shower after Playing Sports or Gym Class?
zob
2009-08-17 05:05:42 UTC
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...

http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no_w.html#more
---
Zob
Suzanne D.
2009-08-17 06:53:51 UTC
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no_w.html#more
I don't think that really that weird. I would never have showered in front
of someone else at that age. That's the point in your life where you're at
your most absolute insecure about your body--the WORST thing you can do is
force a kid to reveal it to everyone else! My son's P.E. requires special
clothes, which they change out of when the class is done. The odor
generally sticks to the clothes anyway, so they can get by for a few hours
without showering.
--S.
fmomoon
2009-08-17 07:03:00 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no_w.html#more
I don't think that really that weird. I would never have showered in
front of someone else at that age. That's the point in your life where
you're at your most absolute insecure about your body--the WORST thing you
can do is force a kid to reveal it to everyone else! My son's P.E.
requires special clothes, which they change out of when the class is done.
The odor generally sticks to the clothes anyway, so they can get by for a
few hours without showering.
--S.
I realize that zob and I are a bit older than you are, Suzanne, but back
when we were in high school, showering after PE was required. It was no big
thing. I suppose that maybe we weren't as body conscious back then as
generations who came later. I think that this was a good thing. Given a
choice (at least for a girl) between stinking (which I was very conscious
of) and showing in front of other girls, yeah, I'd shower.
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
zob
2009-08-17 09:35:58 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
It may be a chicken-or-the-egg thing also. Are kids more ashamed of
their bodies ergo don't want to be seen by others, or is it because
they're not seeing all they body types that are making them
self-consious of their own? Just a thought. As you said, in our
generation we grew up showering after gym class, and after the first
few days or whatever of it, it becomes "normal" and most lose their
self-sonsiousness after a while. Which is a good thing IMO.
Post by fmomoon
I think that this was a good thing. Given a
choice (at least for a girl) between stinking (which I was very conscious
of) and showing in front of other girls, yeah, I'd shower.
Shoot, I was a scrawny, tall gangly thing, but I hung around the
showers even when I wasn't showering! :-D
---
Zob
Suzanne D.
2009-08-17 17:51:59 UTC
Post by zob
It may be a chicken-or-the-egg thing also. Are kids more ashamed of
their bodies ergo don't want to be seen by others, or is it because
they're not seeing all they body types that are making them
self-consious of their own?
I don't think it is necessarily "shame," but when your body is starting to
grow in ways you barely understand--you're getting hair in certain places,
you may or may not be getting boobs--you're naturally at the most physically
self-conscious time in your life. This is the age where children naturally
start to cover their bodies.
Post by zob
As you said, in our
generation we grew up showering after gym class, and after the first
few days or whatever of it, it becomes "normal" and most lose their
self-consciousness after a while.
Yet the generation who had to shower together as teens is the same
generation which, on the whole, disapproves the most of nudity. So I don't
really think showering together helped their attitudes toward bodies at all.
(I don't think it necessarily made them MORE prudish, but I certainly don't
think it liberated them the way you want to believe it did.)
--S.
PeterL
That's too much information.
SLGreg
2009-08-17 20:32:44 UTC
Post by PeterL
Post by fmomoon
I think that this was a good thing.  Given a
choice (at least for a girl) between stinking (which I was very conscious
of) and showing in front of other girls, yeah, I'd shower.
Shoot, I was a scrawny, tall gangly thing, but I hung around the
showers even when I wasn't showering!   :-D
---
Zob-
That's too much information.
Around the same time Vandar was caught, sniffing the cheerleader
outfits in the next room.

<duck/run/hide>

-greg
Vandar
I was a science project! Honest!
fmomoon
2009-08-18 00:34:22 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by PeterL
Post by zob
Post by fmomoon
Post by fmomoon
I think that this was a good thing. Given a
choice (at least for a girl) between stinking (which I was very conscious
of) and showing in front of other girls, yeah, I'd shower.
Shoot, I was a scrawny, tall gangly thing, but I hung around the
showers even when I wasn't showering! :-D
---
Zob-
That's too much information.
Around the same time Vandar was caught, sniffing the cheerleader
outfits in the next room.
<duck/run/hide>
I was a science project! Honest!
Yes, honey, you were a science project!!!! ROTFLMHO! Best typo of the
year...
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
zob
2009-08-18 03:13:59 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by Vandar
I was a science project! Honest!
Yes, honey, you were a science project!!!! ROTFLMHO! Best typo of the
year...
I don't know; I think it might come in second to this Thanatos post
that appears elsewhere in this thread. He was refuting somebody's
statement that kids at high school age are too self-conjsious about
their bodies and shoudln't be made to take showers together:

Quote Thanatos:
" It teaches you how to suck it and do stuff that you don't want to
do. "

I'm pretty sure he meant to say, "suck it up" rather than the rather
strong argument he unintentionally made for the other side of the
debate ...

Now that right there was a bad typo, I don't care who y'are! Heh.
---
Zob
fmomoon
2009-08-18 03:37:51 UTC
Post by zob
Post by fmomoon
Post by Vandar
I was a science project! Honest!
Yes, honey, you were a science project!!!! ROTFLMHO! Best typo of the
year...
I don't know; I think it might come in second to this Thanatos post
that appears elsewhere in this thread. He was refuting somebody's
statement that kids at high school age are too self-conjsious about
" It teaches you how to suck it and do stuff that you don't want to
do. "
I'm pretty sure he meant to say, "suck it up" rather than the rather
strong argument he unintentionally made for the other side of the
debate ...
Now that right there was a bad typo, I don't care who y'are! Heh.
---
Zob
You know, this is my favorite thread of recent days. Good stuff and where
would we be without a few typos. Not that I ever make mistakes like
that....
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
zob
2009-08-18 04:01:33 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by zob
Post by fmomoon
Post by Vandar
[...]
Yeah? Check out your grammatical error that I made a snide remark
about elsewhere in this thread ...

<scampers away>
---
Zob
fmomoon
2009-08-18 05:29:46 UTC
Post by zob
Post by fmomoon
Post by zob
Post by fmomoon
Post by Vandar
[...]
Yes, dear. Okay, Mr. Perfect Pants, I'll be watching you! :)
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
zob
2009-08-18 06:20:37 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by zob
Post by fmomoon
Post by zob
Post by fmomoon
Post by Vandar
[...]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doFKkuzoawM
---
Zob
Elton Dumont
2009-08-18 02:31:59 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by PeterL
Post by zob
Post by fmomoon
Post by fmomoon
I think that this was a good thing. Given a
choice (at least for a girl) between stinking (which I was very conscious
of) and showing in front of other girls, yeah, I'd shower.
Shoot, I was a scrawny, tall gangly thing, but I hung around the
showers even when I wasn't showering! :-D
---
Zob-
That's too much information.
Around the same time Vandar was caught, sniffing the cheerleader
outfits in the next room.
<duck/run/hide>
I was a science project! Honest!
I aced that course too.

Elton
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 21:56:40 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by PeterL
Post by fmomoon
I think that this was a good thing.  Given a
choice (at least for a girl) between stinking (which I was very conscious
of) and showing in front of other girls, yeah, I'd shower.
Shoot, I was a scrawny, tall gangly thing, but I hung around the
showers even when I wasn't showering!   :-D
---
Zob-
That's too much information.
Around the same time Vandar was caught, sniffing the cheerleader
outfits in the next room.
<duck/run/hide>
-greg
I thought for a moment there you were going to say he was caught wearing
them.
If not now, when?
zob
2009-08-18 03:15:20 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by SLGreg
Around the same time Vandar was caught, sniffing the cheerleader
outfits in the next room.
-greg
I thought for a moment there you were going to say he was caught wearing
them.
Only he and God know for sure.
---
Zob
topcat
2009-08-17 11:39:13 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
I was more worried about my locker being robbed while I was in the shower,
than having to take a shower.

TC
fmomoon
2009-08-18 00:07:11 UTC
Post by topcat
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Seriously, that is a horrible problem right now. Some of my students have
taken to leaving valuables in my office before they go to PE. Of course, I
ask them whether or not they actually "locked" their locker and I tend to
get sheepish looks, but it is a significant issue.
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
zob
2009-08-18 03:17:14 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by topcat
I was more worried about my locker being robbed while I was in the shower,
than having to take a shower.
TC
Seriously, that is a horrible problem right now. Some of my students have
taken to leaving valuables in my office before they go to PE.
So how much loot have you gotten so far?
---
Zob
fmomoon
2009-08-18 03:34:36 UTC
Post by zob
Post by fmomoon
Post by topcat
I was more worried about my locker being robbed while I was in the shower,
than having to take a shower.
TC
Seriously, that is a horrible problem right now. Some of my students have
taken to leaving valuables in my office before they go to PE.
So how much loot have you gotten so far?
---
Zob
You mean, my tip? Hey, times are hard! :)
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-18 07:42:51 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by zob
Post by fmomoon
Post by topcat
I was more worried about my locker being robbed while I was in the shower,
than having to take a shower.
TC
Seriously, that is a horrible problem right now. Some of my students have
taken to leaving valuables in my office before they go to PE.
So how much loot have you gotten so far?
---
Zob
You mean, my tip? Hey, times are hard! :)
So is bail for petty larceny.
--
Few events change the way you view life as when you hold your grandchild
in your arms.
Vandar
2009-08-17 14:02:27 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Don't forget, back in your day every kid didn't have cell phones with
cameras either.
Showering in school should be abolished for that reason alone.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 14:26:28 UTC
Post by Vandar
every kid didn't have cell phones with
cameras either.
Showering in school should be abolished for that reason alone.
That's a point that I've never considered, Vandar. At first thought, I
find myself agreeing with you for that reason alone. YouTube/Facebook
"cute" stuff that crosses way over the line but easily and readily
considered by juveniles as appropriate (and with no guilt associated
with either YouTube/Facebook as merely being the vehicles for the
improper actions).
If not now, when?
Thanatos
No, cell phones in school should be abolished for that reason alone.
Vandar
2009-08-17 15:47:41 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
If I'm not mistaken, many schools do have a policy banning cell phone
use during class hours. I know my kid's high school did.
That said, a school policy banning cell phone use during school hours
does not mean the kids won't use their cell phones during school hours.
However, banning showers during school hours will ensure that some 15
year old girl won't have candid nude pics of herself posted all over the
internet and distributed among her classmates.
zob
2009-08-17 16:04:09 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
If that happens, it needs to be dealt with like any other criminal
activity.

A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
---
Zob
Vandar
2009-08-17 16:16:01 UTC
Post by zob
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Meanwhile, the devastated teenager who was forced to take a shower in
school hangs herself in her closet after school.

I always told my kid: Under NO circumstances are you to ever shower or
change clothes at school.
Post by zob
A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
But we don't have a policy *requiring* teenage girls to be naked in the
back seat of a car. Some schools DO have a policy requiring them to be
naked at school. And it isn't just other students they have to worry
about. There are even teachers out there who have been busted for
surreptitiously recording kids in compromising situations.
b***@gmail.com
2009-08-17 17:04:05 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
But we don't have a policy *requiring* teenage girls to be naked in the
back seat of a car. Some schools DO have a policy requiring them to be
naked at school. And it isn't just other students they have to worry
about. There are even teachers out there who have been busted for
surreptitiously recording kids in compromising situations.
Right. There should never be a policy mandating showers. There should be
no policy abolishing showers either, though. Those who want to take showers
should be able to take showers after P.E.
SLGreg
2009-08-17 17:08:14 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
But we don't have a policy *requiring* teenage girls to be naked in the
back seat of a car. Some schools DO have a policy requiring them to be
naked at school. And it isn't just other students they have to worry
about. There are even teachers out there who have been busted for
surreptitiously recording kids in compromising situations.
Right. There should never be a policy mandating showers. There should be
no policy abolishing showers either, though. Those who want to take showers
should be able to take showers after P.E.
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.

-greg
Vandar
Those were the guys taking pictures of you. :)
zob
2009-08-17 17:18:27 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
But we don't have a policy *requiring* teenage girls to be naked in the
back seat of a car. Some schools DO have a policy requiring them to be
naked at school. And it isn't just other students they have to worry
about. There are even teachers out there who have been busted for
surreptitiously recording kids in compromising situations.
Right. There should never be a policy mandating showers. There should be
no policy abolishing showers either, though. Those who want to take showers
should be able to take showers after P.E.
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.
Those were the guys taking pictures of you. :)
Yeah, but he liked it. That's different.
---
Zob
SLGreg
2009-08-17 17:20:45 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.
Those were the guys taking pictures of you. :)
With what? Those cameras on tri-pods, where you put the black hood
over your head and held the flash thingee?

-greg
Vandar
2009-08-17 17:23:45 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.
Those were the guys taking pictures of you. :)
With what? Those cameras on tri-pods, where you put the black hood
over your head and held the flash thingee?
I thought about it after I posted. I was picturing a prehistoric bird
chiseling your image on a stone slab, a la the Flintstones.
SLGreg
2009-08-17 17:26:36 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.
Those were the guys taking pictures of you. :)
With what? Those cameras on tri-pods, where you put the black hood
over your head and held the flash thingee?
I thought about it after I posted. I was picturing a prehistoric bird
chiseling your image on a stone slab, a la the Flintstones.
ROTFL. That one woke up Chuy.

-greg
Suzanne D.
2009-08-17 17:58:14 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.
Those were the guys taking pictures of you. :)
With what? Those cameras on tri-pods, where you put the black hood
over your head and held the flash thingee?
Maybe someone was sketching you with a twig on a clay slab.
--S.
Ron Capik
2009-08-17 17:26:21 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
But we don't have a policy *requiring* teenage girls to be naked in
the back seat of a car. Some schools DO have a policy requiring them
to be naked at school. And it isn't just other students they have to
worry about. There are even teachers out there who have been busted
for surreptitiously recording kids in compromising situations.
Right. There should never be a policy mandating showers. There should be
no policy abolishing showers either, though. Those who want to take showers
should be able to take showers after P.E.
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.
Those were the guys taking pictures of you. :)
Back when I was in school the guys not showering got
to run laps.

Later...

Ron Capik
Salad
2009-08-17 18:04:59 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
But we don't have a policy *requiring* teenage girls to be naked in
the back seat of a car. Some schools DO have a policy requiring them
to be naked at school. And it isn't just other students they have to
worry about. There are even teachers out there who have been busted
for surreptitiously recording kids in compromising situations.
Right. There should never be a policy mandating showers. There should be
no policy abolishing showers either, though. Those who want to take showers
should be able to take showers after P.E.
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.
Those were the guys taking pictures of you. :)
I went to HS in MN and WI, late 60s. Our JR high had a swimming pool
and all boys were nude in PE when we swam. The girls did wear bathing
suits, not the boys (of course, silly, boys and girls had separate
classes). The jets that circulated the water gave a good tickle. When
I moved to WI in 12th grade, 3 hundred miles away, they had a pool as
well. The males all swam nude. I have no idea if that was the norm in
those days, but in two of the schools I attended, in different states,
it was my experience that it was the norm.
SLGreg
2009-08-17 18:20:57 UTC
Post by Salad
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
[...]
When someone would find a quarry or lake nearby, we all swam nude,
too, girls included. Skinny dipping! I remember hearing that of male
HS swimming, too, but I somehow missed that part! Damn!

-greg
Salad
2009-08-17 18:59:04 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by Salad
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
[...]
The first black student in my school occurred when I was in 9th grade.
I suppose there are more blacks in that area now, but they certainly
weren't common then. So in PE we wondered if we whiteys measured up.
Curiousity satisfied, we moved on with life.

I've wondered how it would be to be the only person different than the
rest of a group's color. Being the only black person in a sea of white
kids, or visa versa. Or like a black in the Republican party. It's
gotta be strange.
fmomoon
2009-08-18 00:13:48 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
[...]
That sure wasn't the thing at my high school. Don't ask how I know, except
to say that I was an office assistant one year and had to deliver
messages....okay, I volunteered.
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
zob
2009-08-18 03:26:59 UTC
Post by Salad
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
[...]
I think you probably got your memories confused with the videos you've
been watching: http://tinyurl.com/n7vlgy
---
Zob
Salad
2009-08-18 04:56:01 UTC
Post by zob
Post by Salad
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
[...]
No. You have to realize Zob that I went to school when a kid didn't
have TV sex ed at the age or 5 or be sexually experienced at the age of 10.

I have to admit I've wondered why the boys never wore trunks tho. I
would have thought maybe a parent would question why if it were a big
deal. Back then, most likely not.
Suzy
2009-08-18 14:21:56 UTC
Post by zob
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
[...]
<Putting on my George hat> Shrinkage, I'm tellin ya, its shrinkage!!
--
Susie
Time flies when you are having rum!
Suzy
2009-08-18 14:19:01 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by SLGreg
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
[...]
Thank you for explaining why I do not swim in public pools!
Cheri
2009-08-17 18:19:45 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by b***@gmail.com
Right. There should never be a policy mandating showers. There should be
no policy abolishing showers either, though. Those who want to take showers
should be able to take showers after P.E.
I agree. I remember a few guys NOT taking showers, too. No biggee, it
was their prerogative I always thought.
-greg
Where my son went to high school, they could flunk you for P.E. for not
taking showers, and without the P.E. no graduation. It was the only time I
went head to head with an educator (who was later arrested for beating his
wife and holding a gun on her) so I know he was the bullying bastard I
thought he was. No way was he going to stop my son from graduating over
showers in his senior year, but it was like the coach was trying to make it
a personal mission or something. It got quite nasty before it got better,
but they did finally put him in last period P.E. where he came home
afterward, no showers.

I will add that my son was very small in stature during high school, and
didn't grow tall until after he joined the army where I imagine he showered
with others often, so I believe it was the coach in high school that caused
the problem.

Cheri
zob
2009-08-18 03:31:47 UTC
Post by Cheri
Where my son went to high school, they could flunk you for P.E. for not
taking showers,
I do know that years ago the PE teachers were responsible for teaching
personal hygiene as well as exercise; he was probably doing his job
teaching the kids that they need to take showers after exercising in
order to be socially acceptable later on in life. Unfortunately
personal hygiene doesn't seem to be taught in a lot of homes, and as
with many other things its a shame the subject has/had to be left to a
teacher to address.
---
Zob
Suzanne D.
2009-08-18 09:04:35 UTC
Post by zob
I do know that years ago the PE teachers were responsible for teaching
personal hygiene as well as exercise; he was probably doing his job
teaching the kids that they need to take showers after exercising in
order to be socially acceptable later on in life.
What I find funny is that someone would think that a half-hour romp in the
sun or gym would leave you so unclean that you would have to shower
immediately! It not like these kids spend hours and hours exercising.
--S.
Rachel
2009-08-18 13:19:07 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
I do know that years ago the PE teachers were responsible for teaching
personal hygiene as well as exercise; he was probably doing his job
teaching the kids that they need to take showers after exercising in
order to be socially acceptable later on in life.
What I find funny is that someone would think that a half-hour romp in the
sun or gym would leave you so unclean that you would have to shower
immediately!  It not like these kids spend hours and hours exercising.
--S.
Exactly! A little badminton or dodgeball doesn't leave you dripping
in sweat.
Salad
2009-08-18 13:31:19 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
I do know that years ago the PE teachers were responsible for teaching
personal hygiene as well as exercise; he was probably doing his job
teaching the kids that they need to take showers after exercising in
order to be socially acceptable later on in life.
What I find funny is that someone would think that a half-hour romp in the
sun or gym would leave you so unclean that you would have to shower
immediately! It not like these kids spend hours and hours exercising.
--S.
Exactly! A little badminton or dodgeball doesn't leave you dripping
in sweat.
They were known as sweathogs in my day. Then again, in my days PE
wasn't used as a study hall.
Suzy
2009-08-18 14:23:31 UTC
Post by Cheri
Post by SLGreg
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
Oh I loved 6th period gym! Everyone prayed they would get that schedule!
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 17:26:06 UTC
In article <h6c2i5$cfq$***@news.albasani.net>, ***@gmail.com
says...
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by zob
A teenage girl might be raped in the back seat of a car, but the
solution isn't to stop teenagers from getting into cars.
But we don't have a policy *requiring* teenage girls to be naked in the
back seat of a car. Some schools DO have a policy requiring them to be
naked at school. And it isn't just other students they have to worry
about. There are even teachers out there who have been busted for
surreptitiously recording kids in compromising situations.
Right. There should never be a policy mandating showers. There should be
no policy abolishing showers either, though. Those who want to take showers
should be able to take showers after P.E.
For that matter, we had a high school policy that if you were playing a
JV or Varsity sport, you were excused from gym during the season and
given a study hall. After sports seasons, I recall any number of guys
that were uncomfortable taking showers and didn't do so. Nothing
happened to them, although several of them had not discovered deodorant
at 15-16 and staying away from downwind of them was essential the rest
of the day.
If not now, when?
Suzanne D.
2009-08-17 17:57:09 UTC
Post by Vandar
I always told my kid: Under NO circumstances are you to ever shower or
change clothes at school.
I would leave it to my kid, personally, making sure he first understood the
risks. It is possible to change clothes without having to reveal much, and
if my son doesn't mind taking a shower in front of everyone, I have no
objection to him doing it. But it definitely should be his choice. If his
school made him strip in front of his peers, and he didn't want to do that,
I'd remove him from school. This is THE most vulnerable and psychologically
delicate time in a human's life. I am not going to traumatize any of my
kids just because they need to suck it up and learn to follow rules. There
are plenty of other ways to teach them to follow rules without forcing them
to be naked in front of their friends, especially if it is not necessary.
--S.
PeterL
However, that's a good policy regardless.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 16:19:07 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Our kids schools allowed cell phones but they had to be on vibrate and
have a vibration that wasn't, in itself, a de facto ring tone, loud
enough to be heard. It's not often, but there are times when a call
(between classes) or a text message during a class might have, and was,
necessary.
If not now, when?
SLGreg
2009-08-17 16:25:56 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
If something is so important that a parent or guardian needs to speak
with the child, it should be done so through contacting the main
office. It has nothing whatsoever to do with ring verses vibrate.

Cellphones for student/student contact are wholly unnecessary on K-12
campuses, distracting from a teacher's perspective, and should, IMO,
be banned.

-greg
Vandar
2009-08-17 16:40:00 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
I agree. Even knowing my kid had her phone with her, any time I needed
to contact her about something, I called the main office and left a message.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 16:42:04 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Well.....I see your point greg, though experience has taught us that
there are times when that process, in the past, would break down and it
was necessary or urgent for a message to get through "now"
Post by SLGreg
Cellphones for student/student contact are wholly unnecessary on K-12
campuses, distracting from a teacher's perspective, and should, IMO,
be banned.
-greg
I'll agree up to high school. If the privilege is misused, it can be
handled on a student by student basis. OTOH, if a parent knows a
child's class schedule, either a call then or a text asking him/her to
call at the break, while on "quiet vibrate" can cut through the red tape
and middleman when the need is important and/or urgent.
If not now, when?
SLGreg
2009-08-17 16:45:57 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by SLGreg
Cellphones for student/student contact are wholly unnecessary on K-12
campuses, distracting from a teacher's perspective, and should, IMO,
be banned.
-greg
I'll agree up to high school.
High school is precisely where the preponderance of misuse would
occur.

-greg
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 17:23:25 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by SLGreg
Cellphones for student/student contact are wholly unnecessary on K-12
campuses, distracting from a teacher's perspective, and should, IMO,
be banned.
-greg
I'll agree up to high school.
High school is precisely where the preponderance of misuse would
occur.
-greg
No doubt and I agree with you, greg. I'm just saying that with parents
using good judgement and kids only using it when contacted by a parent,
there's are occasional times when speaking directly and not waiting are
essential. OTOH, if the kid is just chatting away or texting in class
to a buddy, sure, confiscate the phone for the day or until a parent
picks it up.

We're about 95 percent in agreement I'd say on this one, greg. The 5
percent difference can involve pretty important/serious situations.
If not now, when?
Suzanne D.
2009-08-17 18:02:32 UTC
Post by SLGreg
High school is precisely where the preponderance of misuse would
occur.
There is absolutely no reason a child at school (any age) would need a cell
phone, even if they didn't "misuse" it. They are already with their
friends! Any out-of-town friends can simply be called after school, and for
emergencies the parents can call the office. WHY would a person need a
phone at school?
--S.
Bigolhomo
2009-08-17 19:31:20 UTC
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:02:32 -0600, "Suzanne D."
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by SLGreg
High school is precisely where the preponderance of misuse would
occur.
There is absolutely no reason a child at school (any age) would need a cell
phone, even if they didn't "misuse" it. They are already with their
friends! Any out-of-town friends can simply be called after school, and for
emergencies the parents can call the office. WHY would a person need a
phone at school?
--S.
Because they exist, so they're a supposed necessity. How we ever
managed to get through high school without them is beyond me.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 19:35:34 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, ***@none.com
says...
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by SLGreg
High school is precisely where the preponderance of misuse would
occur.
There is absolutely no reason a child at school (any age) would need a cell
phone, even if they didn't "misuse" it. They are already with their
friends! Any out-of-town friends can simply be called after school, and for
emergencies the parents can call the office. WHY would a person need a
phone at school?
--S.
Because they exist, so they're a supposed necessity. How we ever
managed to get through high school without them is beyond me.
Times change though BOH. Our parents got to school without buses and
many had one room classrooms. AV equipment has changed. So many things
have done so. Is this that much different?
If not now, when?
Thanatos
2009-08-18 03:29:06 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
says...
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by SLGreg
High school is precisely where the preponderance of misuse would
occur.
There is absolutely no reason a child at school (any age) would need a cell
phone, even if they didn't "misuse" it. They are already with their
friends! Any out-of-town friends can simply be called after school, and for
emergencies the parents can call the office. WHY would a person need a
phone at school?
--S.
Because they exist, so they're a supposed necessity. How we ever
managed to get through high school without them is beyond me.
Times change though BOH. Our parents got to school without buses and
many had one room classrooms. AV equipment has changed. So many things
have done so. Is this that much different?
Yes, because school buses, multiple classrooms and better AV equipment
enhance the learning process. Cell phones do not.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-18 07:44:52 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Bob Rudd
says...
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by SLGreg
[...]
In a post 9/11 world however, along with judicious restraint, I think
there is a place for cellphones in schools, along with regulations on
their usage.
--
Few events change the way you view life as when you hold your grandchild
in your arms.
Thanatos
2009-08-18 11:22:40 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Thanatos
Times change though BOH. Our parents got to school without buses and
many had one room classrooms. AV equipment has changed. So many things
have done so. Is this that much different?
Yes, because school buses, multiple classrooms and better AV equipment
enhance the learning process. Cell phones do not.
In a post 9/11 world however, along with judicious restraint, I think
there is a place for cellphones in schools, along with regulations on
their usage.
9-11 has nothing to do with it. Neither does Columbine. Teachers and
administrators will still have cell phones, so if there's an emergency
along those lines, word will still get out and bring the police. In
fact, it's better to have a relative few teachers calling 911, than four
hundred to a thousand students all doing it at the same time and
overwhelming the system.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-18 15:11:43 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Thanatos
Times change though BOH. Our parents got to school without buses and
many had one room classrooms. AV equipment has changed. So many things
have done so. Is this that much different?
Yes, because school buses, multiple classrooms and better AV equipment
enhance the learning process. Cell phones do not.
In a post 9/11 world however, along with judicious restraint, I think
there is a place for cellphones in schools, along with regulations on
their usage.
9-11 has nothing to do with it. Neither does Columbine. Teachers and
administrators will still have cell phones, so if there's an emergency
along those lines, word will still get out and bring the police. In
fact, it's better to have a relative few teachers calling 911, than four
hundred to a thousand students all doing it at the same time and
overwhelming the system.
That's a valid point Thanatos, though as a parent and spouse I would
disagree.

Remembering back to 9/11, I remember that two services really proved to
work in DC, even through all the day's stresses to each of us and the
various systems. Those were Bell Atlantic (now Verizon) for actual cell
phone use and what was Sprint's "press to talk" feature on it's phone.
If you had either, you were very likely to connect with your loved ones
if they had the same service.

From a parental POV, I understand the arguments against cell phones but
I wanted our kids to have a cell phone on their person, and active but
on "quiet vibrate" etc. all the time.
--
Few events change the way you view life as when you hold your grandchild
in your arms.
zob
2009-08-18 03:37:04 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
says...
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by SLGreg
High school is precisely where the preponderance of misuse would
occur.
There is absolutely no reason a child at school (any age) would need a cell
phone, even if they didn't "misuse" it. They are already with their
friends! Any out-of-town friends can simply be called after school, and for
emergencies the parents can call the office. WHY would a person need a
phone at school?
--S.
Because they exist, so they're a supposed necessity. How we ever
managed to get through high school without them is beyond me.
Times change though BOH. Our parents got to school without buses and
many had one room classrooms. AV equipment has changed. So many things
have done so. Is this that much different?
What's different is that getting to school without a bus is not the
same as having an exterior distraction from learning while in the
school. Unless something has direct bearing on the learning process,
it has no business being in a school classroom IMO.
---
Zob
Bob Rudd
2009-08-18 07:46:22 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, zob <zobva1
@ gmail.com> says...
Post by zob
Post by Bob Rudd
says...
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by SLGreg
[...]
It depends on the kids, the classroom, the school and the upbringing
that they kids have to respect what the rules of/for potential usage
are, IMHO.
--
Few events change the way you view life as when you hold your grandchild
in your arms.
Suzanne D.
2009-08-17 20:19:34 UTC
Post by Bigolhomo
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:02:32 -0600, "Suzanne D."
WHY would a person need a
Post by Bigolhomo
Post by Suzanne D.
phone at school?
--S.
Because they exist, so they're a supposed necessity. How we ever
managed to get through high school without them is beyond me.
I laugh when people are incredulous that we don't have cell phones. "How
will you know if someone wants to talk to you?" Um...they'll call me on the
regular phone! "But what if you are out and someone calls?" They'll leave
a message, or call back later. "But what if you are out and someone needs
to get in touch with you?" There are so few instances where that would be
necessary. My husband and I have no problems with letting each other know
of our plans before either of us goes anywhere, so we don't need additional
communication. I suppose people think cell phones are necessary because
sometimes you are shopping and need someone's help in deciding what to get.
I have honestly, no joke, heard people talking on cell phones while
shopping, saying things like, "There are two brands of sour cream
here...which should I get?" Actually having a conversation about which
brand of sour cream to buy. Oh my god, just make a choice on your own. If
for some reason it's the wrong choice, then just buy a different brand next
time.
--S.
Thanatos
2009-08-18 03:28:24 UTC
Post by Bigolhomo
Post by Suzanne D.
phone at school?
--S.
Because they exist, so they're a supposed necessity. How we ever
managed to get through high school without them is beyond me.
I laugh when people are incredulous that we don't have cell phones. "How
will you know if someone wants to talk to you?" Um...they'll call me on the
regular phone! "But what if you are out and someone calls?" They'll leave
a message, or call back later. "But what if you are out and someone needs
to get in touch with you?"
I'd respond, "Define 'need'." In 99.9999% of cases, the person who
"needs" to get in touch with me, actually doesn't "need" to do so at
all. They just *want* to get in touch with me and they assume that if
they want it, then they need it.

Such is rarely the case.

And if I go out without my phone, that means *I* don't *want* to be
contacted by anyone.
Suzanne D.
2009-08-18 09:06:35 UTC
Post by Thanatos
I'd respond, "Define 'need'." In 99.9999% of cases, the person who
"needs" to get in touch with me, actually doesn't "need" to do so at
all. They just *want* to get in touch with me and they assume that if
they want it, then they need it.
There has been exactly one time in my life where I genuinely needed a cell
phone. And even that worked out okay in the end without one.
--S.
Thanatos
2009-08-18 11:25:41 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by Thanatos
I'd respond, "Define 'need'." In 99.9999% of cases, the person who
"needs" to get in touch with me, actually doesn't "need" to do so at
all. They just *want* to get in touch with me and they assume that if
they want it, then they need it.
There has been exactly one time in my life where I genuinely needed a cell
phone. And even that worked out okay in the end without one.
--S.
They're mostly useful for emergency calls on the side of road if the car
breaks down or something similar where you really would be stuck without
any other alternative, but for the life of me I'm simply amazed by the
attitudes most people have about those things. They'd sooner walk out
the house without their clothes than without their cell phone. As if the
idea that they might miss a phone call from someone is the very
definition of tragedy.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-18 15:05:00 UTC
Post by Thanatos
They're mostly useful for emergency calls on the side of road if the car
breaks down or something similar where you really would be stuck without
any other alternative, but for the life of me I'm simply amazed by the
attitudes most people have about those things. They'd sooner walk out
the house without their clothes than without their cell phone. As if the
idea that they might miss a phone call from someone is the very
definition of tragedy.
I don't know that is really it though, pal. I think it has become more
of a "safety" valve for many more than anything else. Yeah, I want mine
for work and don't want to miss many calls, or at least select the ones
I choose to answer but...bottom line is that when I leave home, I want
it for safety concerns first and everything else is secondary.
--
Few events change the way you view life as when you hold your grandchild
in your arms.
zob
2009-08-17 17:17:06 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by SLGreg
Cellphones for student/student contact are wholly unnecessary on K-12
campuses, distracting from a teacher's perspective, and should, IMO,
be banned.
-greg
I'll agree up to high school. If the privilege is misused, it can be
handled on a student by student basis. OTOH, if a parent knows a
child's class schedule, either a call then or a text asking him/her to
call at the break, while on "quiet vibrate" can cut through the red tape
and middleman when the need is important and/or urgent.
If, and an emphasis is on if, cell phones are allowed in school, they
should be kept completely shut off or left in lockers during all
classes. They can be checked for messages during breaks. Amreicans
are ruing the decline in our educational system and the declining
grades of our students and their reduced learning curve. This is one
reason. Whether it rings or vibrates, for a student to check a cell
phone in the middle of an algebra lesson is to give them one more
wrong answer on their next exam. Many people want to blame the
government for our declining school effectiveness ... this is one
thing that they as parents can take responsibility for and change IMO.
---
Zob
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 18:00:18 UTC
Post by zob
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by SLGreg
[...]
I see and understand your point zob. However, one of our family year's
ago was undergoing chemo at the time. The kids wanted to know how each
session was going/being handled by the family member, as it
happened/finished. That small text message "doing A-ok, or really
tired" etc. meant a lot to them, rather than wait for a break. Same
thing when an emergency occurred and they needed to get out asap. The
teachers were aware of the situation and a simple picking up of books
and nod that they were leaving as a result of the test message, was all
that was required and I had already called the school office to let them
know right after the text message.
If not now, when?
SLGreg
2009-08-17 18:03:35 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
@ gmail.com> says...
Post by zob
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by SLGreg
[...]
As Salad said, Pandora's box is already open on kids having them. If
I were the Principal, you can bet I'd be a REAL hard ass about their
usage, though.

Showers after P.E. optional, but available.

-greg
Suzanne D.
2009-08-17 18:04:50 UTC
Post by zob
Amreicans
are ruing the decline in our educational system and the declining
grades of our students and their reduced learning curve. This is one
reason. Whether it rings or vibrates, for a student to check a cell
phone in the middle of an algebra lesson is to give them one more
wrong answer on their next exam.
My son once narked on a couple of his classmates whom he saw texting during
class. The teacher (who encouraged tattling) noted that these were some of
the lowest-scoring students in class. School is for learning.
Socialization can come afterward.
--S.
Salad
2009-08-17 17:38:17 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Somehow I was able to make it thru high school with out a cell phone.
That may be because they weren't invented at that time. If a parent
needed to talk to their kid, they called the office and the student was
paged.

Like Pandora's Box, it's now too late.

I wonder if kids that posted a nude pic of a classmate on the net could
be arrested as a pedophiles. It wouldn't do much as their records would
be expunged when they hit 18, so there'd have to be more punishment.
Expulsion is a start but not sufficient. Due to the economy, there was
a change in juvenile cases. Kids would get leg bracelets used to track
them. Cost is about $15/day. Typical time served is 30 days with the
bracelet up to 3 months. Before, the state would shoulder the cost.
Now the parents are billed for it. So maybe a financial hit is also
required.

I would not have considered photoing some classmate, but in this day and
age it would be entirely expected by some kids thinking they're being cute.
Cheri
2009-08-17 18:24:02 UTC
Post by SLGreg
Post by Bob Rudd
Our kids schools allowed cell phones but they had to be on vibrate and
have a vibration that wasn't, in itself, a de facto ring tone, loud
enough to be heard. It's not often, but there are times when a call
(between classes) or a text message during a class might have, and was,
necessary.
If something is so important that a parent or guardian needs to speak
with the child, it should be done so through contacting the main
office. It has nothing whatsoever to do with ring verses vibrate.
Cellphones for student/student contact are wholly unnecessary on K-12
campuses, distracting from a teacher's perspective, and should, IMO,
be banned.
-greg
Not that I'm old or anything ;-) BUT it's amazing that our parents could
always reach us by having a runner take a note to the teacher to say we were
wanted in the office, and we could only hope we were in school when the note
came.

Cheri
PeterL
2009-08-17 20:35:11 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by zob
[...]
It dose not stop someone from photographing or video taping someone
using a cell then.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 21:57:31 UTC
Post by PeterL
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by zob
[...]
No, but they don't shower etc.
If not now, when?
Thanatos
2009-08-18 03:22:57 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
I wouldn't just ban their use. I'd ban their possession on school
grounds.

I made it through junior high and high school just fine without one. So
can they.
zob
2009-08-18 03:43:43 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Moni said in another post that cell phones are forbidden in her school
Moni, can you clarify for us? Is the possession of a cell phone
banned on school property, or just using it?
---
Zob
fmomoon
2009-08-18 03:49:24 UTC
Post by zob
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
The rules is no cell phones allowed. Obviously the only time we would know
they have one is if they use it or it goes off.
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
zob
2009-08-18 03:58:13 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by zob
Moni said in another post that cell phones are forbidden in her school
Moni, can you clarify for us? Is the possession of a cell phone
banned on school property, or just using it?
Zob
The rules is no cell phones allowed.
Moni
Very sensible policy. Otherwise the distraction of the cell phone
might cause the student to miss the lesson in English class that
teaches the verb must agree with the subject of a sentence in number.
---
Zob
fmomoon
2009-08-18 05:26:10 UTC
Post by zob
Post by fmomoon
Post by zob
Moni said in another post that cell phones are forbidden in her school
Moni, can you clarify for us? Is the possession of a cell phone
banned on school property, or just using it?
Zob
The rules is no cell phones allowed.
Moni
Very sensible policy. Otherwise the distraction of the cell phone
might cause the student to miss the lesson in English class that
teaches the verb must agree with the subject of a sentence in number.
---
Zob
I'm having a typo night.....:)
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
zob
2009-08-18 06:22:09 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by zob
Post by fmomoon
Post by zob
Moni said in another post that cell phones are forbidden in her school
Moni, can you clarify for us? Is the possession of a cell phone
banned on school property, or just using it?
Zob
The rules is no cell phones allowed.
Moni
Very sensible policy. Otherwise the distraction of the cell phone
might cause the student to miss the lesson in English class that
teaches the verb must agree with the subject of a sentence in number.
---
Zob
I'm having a typo night.....:)
Lol. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
---
Zob
zob
2009-08-17 16:01:12 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Great minds and all that ...

I said the same thing.
---
Zob
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 16:17:07 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
A good point as well, Thanatos.
If not now, when?
fmomoon
2009-08-18 00:10:15 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
I realize that zob and I are a bit older than you are, Suzanne, but back
when we were in high school, showering after PE was required. It was no
big thing. I suppose that maybe we weren't as body conscious back then
as generations who came later. I think that this was a good thing.
Given a choice (at least for a girl) between stinking (which I was very
conscious of) and showing in front of other girls, yeah, I'd shower.
Don't forget, back in your day every kid didn't have cell phones with
cameras either.
Showering in school should be abolished for that reason alone.
No, cell phones in school should be abolished for that reason alone.
I can't speak for school districts across the nation, but most schools I
know have a no cell phone policy. Not that the policy actually stops
anything, but there are rules...
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
zob
2009-08-17 16:00:09 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Nah, cell phones in school should be abolished, not showers after
sports!
---
Zob
SLGreg
2009-08-17 16:13:17 UTC
Post by zob
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
I had no idea showers were becoming abolished since the 90's!!

I remember well my 14 year old, Freshman dread, with the thought of
showering with all those hairy, and, ummm...developed, 18 y/o Seniors!
After a day or two, being nude was like the great equalizer, your
prurient curiosity was satisfied and it was no big deal. Not one bit.

Actually, in hindsight, I think it was a healthy experience, not only
physically (for the sweat factor), but psychologically, as well. I
understand about the cellphone thing, though. I agree, there is no
reason for a kid to have a phone on campus (but you know kids - they'd
sneak them on campus and take blackmail nudes anyway).

-greg
PeterL
Excellent point.
zob
2009-08-18 03:51:00 UTC
Post by PeterL
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
Post by zob
[...]
It would make more sense to me to ban cell phones from school than
have sweaty, stinky high schoolers being taught poor hygiene habits
walking around. There is nothing whatever about a cell phone that
enhances classroom learning; they should not be allowed on school
property IMO. It also prepares the students for real life. Most
hotel companies I've worked for have employee rules that prohibit
personal cell phones from being brought into the building by the
workers. And for good reason, There is nothing more unprofessional
than a desk clerk talking on personal call while a guest waits, or a
housekeeper or maintenance man walking down the hall yakking with
their boyfirend/girlfriend/kids/whatever. And it distracts them from
doing their job effectively also. Shouldn't high school be preparing
the students for real life?
---
Zob
fmomoon
2009-08-18 00:09:01 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
I realize that zob and I are a bit older than you are, Suzanne, but back
when we were in high school, showering after PE was required. It was no
big thing. I suppose that maybe we weren't as body conscious back then
as generations who came later. I think that this was a good thing.
Given a choice (at least for a girl) between stinking (which I was very
conscious of) and showing in front of other girls, yeah, I'd shower.
Don't forget, back in your day every kid didn't have cell phones with
cameras either.
Showering in school should be abolished for that reason alone.
This is the most sensible argument against showering in PE I've heard. I
don't have the answer to this one.
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
Thanatos
I do. Get rid of the cell phones in school.
fmomoon
2009-08-18 03:47:50 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by fmomoon
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
I realize that zob and I are a bit older than you are, Suzanne, but back
when we were in high school, showering after PE was required. It was no
big thing. I suppose that maybe we weren't as body conscious back then
as generations who came later. I think that this was a good thing.
Given a choice (at least for a girl) between stinking (which I was very
conscious of) and showing in front of other girls, yeah, I'd shower.
Don't forget, back in your day every kid didn't have cell phones with
cameras either.
Showering in school should be abolished for that reason alone.
This is the most sensible argument against showering in PE
I've heard. I don't have the answer to this one.
I do. Get rid of the cell phones in school.
As I think others, including myself, have mentioned, cell phones are not
allowed at many schools, including my own. This hasn't stopped a thing.
Short of patting down every student as they enter the building, it is an
unenforceable rule. My rule in my classroom is simple. If I don't see it
or hear it, I don't care if you have the phone. However, if the little
device goes off, it's mine for a week or until mommy or daddy come to get it
from me. I don't really have any problems in class when it comes to cell
phones. I don't allow them because kids cheat with them. I gave an F to
two students last year who tried to hide them during a test. Nope. I'm not
in the gym. We have one female gym teacher and five men. Obviously the men
have to be very sensitive and the female gym teacher has more on her plate
than is fair (she watches 800 girls and they watch 800 boys?), but that's
going off into another subject. No, there really isn't a *realistic* answer
to that one. I wish I could say "it is against the rules for students to
use drugs," and the problem would go away. Yeah, not the situation at all
down here in the trenches. I wish it was that simple.
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
zob
2009-08-18 04:03:07 UTC
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:47:50 -0700, "fmomoon" <***@comcast.net>
wrote:
.
Post by fmomoon
As I think others, including myself, have mentioned, cell phones are not
allowed at many schools, including my own. This hasn't stopped a thing.
Short of patting down every student as they enter the building, it is an
unenforceable rule. My rule in my classroom is simple. If I don't see it
or hear it, I don't care if you have the phone.
Ah, "Don't ask, don't tell!"
---
Zob
fmomoon
2009-08-18 05:26:42 UTC
Post by zob
.
Post by fmomoon
As I think others, including myself, have mentioned, cell phones are not
allowed at many schools, including my own. This hasn't stopped a thing.
Short of patting down every student as they enter the building, it is an
unenforceable rule. My rule in my classroom is simple. If I don't see it
or hear it, I don't care if you have the phone.
Ah, "Don't ask, don't tell!"
---
Zob
Yup. Doesn't work, even there. :)
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
Thanatos
2009-08-18 04:37:11 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by Thanatos
Post by fmomoon
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
[...]
No more unenforceable than the ban on chewing gum when I went through.
Somehow teachers always managed to find it. And losing a $300 iPhone is
a more bitter pill to swallow than losing a pack of gum. Wouldn't take
too many kids losing them before the word would get out.
fmomoon
2009-08-18 05:28:18 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by fmomoon
Post by Thanatos
Post by fmomoon
Post by Vandar
Post by fmomoon
[...]
Gum chewers are a bit more obvious. Those phones are small!
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
zob
Zob
Suzy
2009-08-18 02:43:29 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
I dunno Moni. I am of that generation. We did not shower after PE. I
don't know about the boys, but the girls didn't. Not only would we rather
die than strip naked in front of others, but we did not have time. We
barely had time to change out of our gym suits back into our regular clothes
before the bell rang. We had plenty of showers, but nobody used them.

I also don't know if the boys showered after playing or practicing sports.
I do know one thing, the boys locker room door was across the hall from the
band room and chorus room doors. When that door opened, the stench could
knock down an elephant! When we saw that door begin to open, we made a run
for it!
fmomoon
2009-08-18 03:34:02 UTC
Post by Suzy
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
Ah, yes, the aroma of teenage boys! :) Our band and choir rooms were quite
a distance away from the boys' gym, so we never got quite that strong a
whiff, but I believe you!
--
Moni
I am a Nobody.
Therefore I am Perfect.
zob
2009-08-18 04:05:52 UTC
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:43:29 -0500, "Suzy"
Post by Suzy
I also don't know if the boys showered after playing or practicing sports.
I do know one thing, the boys locker room door was across the hall from the
band room and chorus room doors. When that door opened, the stench could
knock down an elephant! When we saw that door begin to open, we made a run
for it!
You just made a very strong argument for the mandatory showers!
---
Zob
bella
2009-08-18 05:50:41 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
[...]
We too had to shower after PE. And we had PE everyday in high school. We
had to shower in jr. high too, but I think we only had PE three times a week
then.

bella
Susan
2009-08-18 14:21:23 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by bella
We too had to shower after PE. And we had PE everyday in high school. We
had to shower in jr. high too, but I think we only had PE three times a week
then.
Except for pool gym, we didn't have to, and weren't given time to after gym.

I graduated early 70s.

Susan
Thanatos
2009-08-17 12:20:20 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_
no_w.html#more
I don't think that really that weird. I would never have showered in front
of someone else at that age. That's the point in your life where you're at
your most absolute insecure about your body--the WORST thing you can do is
force a kid to reveal it to everyone else!
It teaches you how to suck it and do stuff that you don't want to do. We
seem to be eliminating all of life's lessons from schools these days
because we're so worried about little Johnny and Jenny's self esteem.
b***@gmail.com
Tell us that came out all wrong...
zob
Zob
Vandar
2009-08-17 17:01:06 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_
no_w.html#more
I don't think that really that weird. I would never have showered in front
of someone else at that age. That's the point in your life where you're at
your most absolute insecure about your body--the WORST thing you can do is
force a kid to reveal it to everyone else!
It teaches you how to suck it and do stuff that you don't want to do.
Using that line of thought, so does being strip searched in prison.
There is no lesson to be gained by forcing kids to take showers in school.
Cheri
2009-08-17 18:01:51 UTC
Post by Vandar
There is no lesson to be gained by forcing kids to take showers in school.
None whatsoever. There are other places to show authority, and not while
some shy kid is standing naked in a public shower.

Cheri
Peter Lawrence
2009-08-18 00:23:25 UTC
Post by Cheri
Post by Vandar
There is no lesson to be gained by forcing kids to take showers in school.
None whatsoever. There are other places to show authority, and not while
some shy kid is standing naked in a public shower.
Taking a shower after P.E. should have nothing to do about a show of
authority and everything to do with developing good hygienes. If installing
private showers makes the kids more comfortable, there's nothing wrong with
that, especially in today's world where a fellow kid could take an
inappropriate photo with a cell phone.

- Peter
Vandar
2009-08-18 00:33:43 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Cheri
Post by Vandar
There is no lesson to be gained by forcing kids to take showers in school.
None whatsoever. There are other places to show authority, and not
while some shy kid is standing naked in a public shower.
Taking a shower after P.E. should have nothing to do about a show of
authority and everything to do with developing good hygienes.
If that were true, schools would require students to brush their teeth
after lunch.

The root problem is that "Physical Education" has nothing to do with
education. Having kids play volleyball or run around a track for 40
minutes teaches them *nothing*.
Post by Peter Lawrence
If installing private showers makes the kids more comfortable, there's
nothing wrong with that, especially in today's world where a fellow kid
could take an inappropriate photo with a cell phone.
With state already way over budget, upgrading showers is never going to
happen. What they should do is eliminate the showers altogether, thereby
saving money on the water bill.
They could save even more money by just eliminating PE. Here in NY, you
don't graduate without passing 4 years of gym, which is one of dumbest
policies in the history of education.
Peter Lawrence
2009-08-18 01:43:25 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Cheri
Post by Vandar
There is no lesson to be gained by forcing kids to take showers in school.
None whatsoever. There are other places to show authority, and not
while some shy kid is standing naked in a public shower.
Taking a shower after P.E. should have nothing to do about a show of
authority and everything to do with developing good hygienes.
If that were true, schools would require students to brush their teeth
after lunch.
They should. They should also require that students wash their hands before
they eat lunch. Poor hygienes leads to sickness and poor health.
Post by Vandar
The root problem is that "Physical Education" has nothing to do with
education. Having kids play volleyball or run around a track for 40
minutes teaches them *nothing*.
It helps them stay fit. And with government (read taxpayers) poised to
spend more and more money on healthcare, it's important that the population
as a whole stay as fit and healthy as possible.
Post by Vandar
Post by Peter Lawrence
If installing private showers makes the kids more comfortable, there's
nothing wrong with that, especially in today's world where a fellow
kid could take an inappropriate photo with a cell phone.
With state already way over budget, upgrading showers is never going to
happen. What they should do is eliminate the showers altogether, thereby
saving money on the water bill.
They could save even more money by just eliminating PE. Here in NY, you
don't graduate without passing 4 years of gym, which is one of dumbest
policies in the history of education.
Actually, I think it's great that New York state requires four years of gym.
I think all states should requires high school seniors to pass a fitness
exam besides an educational exit exam before they receive their high school
diploma. Of course, students with physical disabilities would be exempt (or
at least have a modified test appropriate for their physical disability).

- Peter
Vandar
2009-08-18 02:06:30 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Vandar
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Vandar
The root problem is that "Physical Education" has nothing to do with
education. Having kids play volleyball or run around a track for 40
minutes teaches them *nothing*.
It helps them stay fit. And with government (read taxpayers) poised to
spend more and more money on healthcare, it's important that the
population as a whole stay as fit and healthy as possible.
School is supposed to be about learning. PE does not teach, thus they do
not learn from it. Around here, teaching kids how to stay fit and
healthy is done in a class called "Health".
PE is a waste of time and resources. Having it be required for
graduation is beyond stupid.
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Vandar
Post by Peter Lawrence
[...]
My daughter tells me that they recently switched to a credit based
system. Kids must earn a certain number of credits to graduate, with a
set number of credits required in certain classes. Only one credit of
Health is required, while 4 credits of PE are required (6 credits of
math and science and 8 credits of social studies and english).
In this tech age, I see a huge problem with requiring less math and
science than SS and Eng. At minimum, they should be equalized at the
expense of "PE".

As an added bonus, since they implemented this new system, graduation
rates have markedly dropped.
Peter Lawrence
2009-08-18 02:44:49 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Vandar
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Vandar
The root problem is that "Physical Education" has nothing to do with
education. Having kids play volleyball or run around a track for 40
minutes teaches them *nothing*.
It helps them stay fit. And with government (read taxpayers) poised
to spend more and more money on healthcare, it's important that the
population as a whole stay as fit and healthy as possible.
School is supposed to be about learning. PE does not teach, thus they do
not learn from it. Around here, teaching kids how to stay fit and
healthy is done in a class called "Health".
PE is a waste of time and resources. Having it be required for
graduation is beyond stupid.
That's a very shortsighted view. It's important that in school students not
only develop their minds, but also develop their bodies so they are in good
working order as they become adults. Child obesity is growing in epidemic
proportions as children, including teenagers, become more and more
sedentary. This will have a direct negative effects on their lives, and the
lives of those who will have to pay for their ever increasing medical bills.

One main reason more and more children are becoming physically unfit at such
an early age is because the lack of physical activity including exercise.
While I agree that calling it a "Physical Education" class is a misnomer,
("Physical Fitness" class would be a better description) I think more than
ever it should be an essential part of every child's development.

- Peter
Vandar
2009-08-18 02:57:16 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Vandar
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Vandar
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Vandar
The root problem is that "Physical Education" has nothing to do with
education. Having kids play volleyball or run around a track for 40
minutes teaches them *nothing*.
It helps them stay fit. And with government (read taxpayers) poised
to spend more and more money on healthcare, it's important that the
population as a whole stay as fit and healthy as possible.
School is supposed to be about learning. PE does not teach, thus they
do not learn from it. Around here, teaching kids how to stay fit and
healthy is done in a class called "Health".
PE is a waste of time and resources. Having it be required for
graduation is beyond stupid.
That's a very shortsighted view. It's important that in school students
not only develop their minds, but also develop their bodies so they are
in good working order as they become adults.
It's not a school's job to develop a child's body, only assist in
developing their mind.
Post by Peter Lawrence
Child obesity is growing
in epidemic proportions as children, including teenagers, become more
and more sedentary. This will have a direct negative effects on their
lives, and the lives of those who will have to pay for their ever
increasing medical bills.
One main reason more and more children are becoming physically unfit at
such an early age is because the lack of physical activity including
exercise. While I agree that calling it a "Physical Education" class is
a misnomer, ("Physical Fitness" class would be a better description) I
think more than ever it should be an essential part of every child's
development.
It should. What it shouldn't be is part of a school curriculum or a
prerequisite to receiving a diploma.
The fact that childhood obesity is such an issue even though PE is
required only shows that PE doesn't serve any purpose.
I got more mileage out of one semester of an elective computer class I
took in middle school than I did in 6 years of PE.
Thanatos
2009-08-18 03:37:35 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by Vandar
PE is a waste of time and resources. Having it be required for
graduation is beyond stupid.
That's a very shortsighted view. It's important that in school students
not only develop their minds, but also develop their bodies so they are
in good working order as they become adults.
It's not a school's job to develop a child's body, only assist in
developing their mind.
Says who?
Post by Vandar
The fact that childhood obesity is such an issue even though PE is
required only shows that PE doesn't serve any purpose.
But it's not required anymore in many, many places. Hence the obesity
problem.
Vandar
2009-08-18 12:48:53 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
Post by Vandar
PE is a waste of time and resources. Having it be required for
graduation is beyond stupid.
That's a very shortsighted view. It's important that in school students
not only develop their minds, but also develop their bodies so they are
in good working order as they become adults.
It's not a school's job to develop a child's body, only assist in
developing their mind.
Says who?
Me, as there is no law dictating that schools are responsible for the
development of a child's body. If they were, the parents of kids who
graduate fat could sue the school.
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
The fact that childhood obesity is such an issue even though PE is
required only shows that PE doesn't serve any purpose.
But it's not required anymore in many, many places. Hence the obesity
problem.
Among others, it's required in every school in KY, TN, and WA. Those
being the states with highest rate of childhood obesity in the country.
Suzanne D.
2009-08-18 03:01:44 UTC
Post by Vandar
School is supposed to be about learning. PE does not teach, thus they do
not learn from it. Around here, teaching kids how to stay fit and healthy
is done in a class called "Health".
PE is a waste of time and resources. Having it be required for graduation
is beyond stupid.
I don't really get P.E. as a requirement either. I guess some kids NEED
that 40 minutes of activity a day, but not everyone does. Especially if
they walk to school instead of drive. My son has to walk almost two miles
to school, run a mile at the end of the school day (in 105 degree weather
these days), then come back home another almost-two miles. I'd think the
four-mile walk would be sufficient to excuse him from P.E., but the school
doesn't agree with me.
--S.
zob
2009-08-18 04:13:08 UTC
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:01:44 -0600, "Suzanne D."
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by Vandar
School is supposed to be about learning. PE does not teach, thus they do
not learn from it. Around here, teaching kids how to stay fit and healthy
is done in a class called "Health".
PE is a waste of time and resources. Having it be required for graduation
is beyond stupid.
I don't really get P.E. as a requirement either. I guess some kids NEED
that 40 minutes of activity a day, but not everyone does.
My great-nephew who just turned 17 a couple of days ago is 5'6 and
weighs 240 pounds. He'll be going into his senior year of high school
next month, and PE is the only way he gets any exercise at all. He's
being raised by his widowed grandmother; he never goes outdoors or
does anything but eat, sit in front of the TV and/or computer or video
games. This is probably more the rule than the exception these days.
If a school can teach a kid like that even a modicum of good health
habits that they don't get at home, I'm all for it. It benefits not
only the kid, but ultimately, society also in the long run. I don't
see the downside.
---
Zob
Thanatos
2009-08-18 04:42:02 UTC
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:01:44 -0600, "Suzanne D."
I don't really get P.E. as a requirement either. I guess some
kids NEED that 40 minutes of activity a day, but not everyone does.
Actually, everyone does indeed need it to be healthy and fit. Your
statement would be more accurate if you said not everyone *wants* 40
minutes of activity per day. Of course the kids probably don't want 40
minutes of algebra per day, either, but that's why we don't let them
decide these things.
Suzy
2009-08-18 14:11:46 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by Vandar
School is supposed to be about learning. PE does not teach, thus they do
not learn from it. Around here, teaching kids how to stay fit and healthy
is done in a class called "Health".
PE is a waste of time and resources. Having it be required for graduation
is beyond stupid.
I don't really get P.E. as a requirement either. I guess some kids NEED
that 40 minutes of activity a day, but not everyone does. Especially if
they walk to school instead of drive. My son has to walk almost two miles
to school, run a mile at the end of the school day (in 105 degree weather
these days), then come back home another almost-two miles. I'd think the
four-mile walk would be sufficient to excuse him from P.E., but the school
doesn't agree with me.
--S.
Way back in 1492 when I was in high school, we were required to take PE in
the 8th and 9th grades. Beyond that was elective. But the odd thing was,
girls had to do a lot of book studying and testing (Health?), and boys did
none of that. We didn't do a whole lot of physical activity. We learned
how to play certain games, such as basketball, volley ball, softball,
tennis, but truly spent little time actually playing the sport. I think our
teacher disliked going outdoors, so we stayed inside as much as possible.

We got the old "fallout shelter" training without being told what that was
for, as well as the VD training, again not actually telling us what the
diseases were, just how they invaded our bodies and wreaked havoc. Great
teaching, huh?
Thanatos
2009-08-18 03:35:04 UTC
Post by Vandar
The root problem is that "Physical Education" has nothing to do with
education. Having kids play volleyball or run around a track for 40
minutes teaches them *nothing*.
Who says it's about teaching/learning? It's not. It's about getting some
exercise.
Vandar
2009-08-18 12:33:51 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
The root problem is that "Physical Education" has nothing to do with
education. Having kids play volleyball or run around a track for 40
minutes teaches them *nothing*.
Who says it's about teaching/learning? It's not. It's about getting some
exercise.
It's a class named Physical "Education" and takes place in a school.
It's not a great leap of logic.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-18 15:13:13 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
Post by Vandar
The root problem is that "Physical Education" has nothing to do with
education. Having kids play volleyball or run around a track for 40
minutes teaches them *nothing*.
Who says it's about teaching/learning? It's not. It's about getting some
exercise.
It's a class named Physical "Education" and takes place in a school.
It's not a great leap of logic.
I think phys-ed has become a joke in most schools today. It's usually
throw out a group of balls (dodge, basketball, kickballs) and little
else from what I've observed through the years. What most of those have
is relation to real physical education, for me, leave a great deal to be
desired.
--
Few events change the way you view life as when you hold your grandchild
in your arms.
Suzanne D.
2009-08-18 02:58:36 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Taking a shower after P.E. should have nothing to do about a show of
authority and everything to do with developing good hygienes.
Yeah, but kids can learn to shower at home. They don't need school for
that.
--S.
Thanatos
2009-08-18 03:33:40 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by Peter Lawrence
Taking a shower after P.E. should have nothing to do about a show of
authority and everything to do with developing good hygienes.
Yeah, but kids can learn to shower at home.
It's not about learning how to shower, it's about learning when to
shower. Waiting through an entire school day smelling like clabbered
milk, then showering when you get home doesn't really do the trick.
Suzanne D.
2009-08-18 09:10:57 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by Peter Lawrence
Taking a shower after P.E. should have nothing to do about a show of
authority and everything to do with developing good hygienes.
Yeah, but kids can learn to shower at home.
It's not about learning how to shower, it's about learning when to
shower. Waiting through an entire school day smelling like clabbered
milk, then showering when you get home doesn't really do the trick.
But you usually DON'T smell like clabbered milk. Most of the B.O. smell
gets on the clothes, which is why it makes sense to have special clothes
that you remove after the workout.
--S.
Peter Lawrence
2009-08-18 09:42:34 UTC
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by Thanatos
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by Peter Lawrence
Taking a shower after P.E. should have nothing to do about a show of
authority and everything to do with developing good hygienes.
Yeah, but kids can learn to shower at home.
It's not about learning how to shower, it's about learning when to
shower. Waiting through an entire school day smelling like clabbered
milk, then showering when you get home doesn't really do the trick.
But you usually DON'T smell like clabbered milk. Most of the B.O. smell
gets on the clothes, which is why it makes sense to have special clothes
that you remove after the workout.
Ah, it's on the body too. It's bacteria that causes the stench. Changing
just the clothes won't really remove the stench from the body.

But if one can't take a bath or shower (let's say your camping out in the
wilderness), what works reasonably well is to wipe your body off with baby
wipes. Baby wipes do a good job of killing off the odor causing bacteria
that creates B.O. on people. It's not just for babies anymore.

:)

- Peter
Thanatos
2009-08-18 11:20:01 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by Peter Lawrence
Taking a shower after P.E. should have nothing to do about a show of
authority and everything to do with developing good hygienes.
Yeah, but kids can learn to shower at home.
It's not about learning how to shower, it's about learning when to
shower. Waiting through an entire school day smelling like clabbered
milk, then showering when you get home doesn't really do the trick.
But you usually DON'T smell like clabbered milk. Most of the
B.O. smell gets on the clothes
That doesn't seem to be the case with our agent recruits at the academy.
Every now and then we have one who doesn't want to shower after PT and
it's very noticeable, even after he changes out of his PT gear and into
his classroom uniform.

There's nothing more awkward than having to sit a grown adult down and
explain the concept of basic hygiene to him.
Bob Rudd
2009-08-18 15:07:02 UTC
Post by Thanatos
There's nothing more awkward than having to sit a grown adult down and
explain the concept of basic hygiene to him.
I would agree with you on this, also what constitutes appropriate
business attire, particularly with women in more cases than men. These
can be quite challenging subjects to bring forth even with a good HR
Dept.
--
Few events change the way you view life as when you hold your grandchild
in your arms.
Vandar
2009-08-18 15:15:29 UTC
Post by Bob Rudd
Post by Thanatos
There's nothing more awkward than having to sit a grown adult down and
explain the concept of basic hygiene to him.
I would agree with you on this, also what constitutes appropriate
business attire, particularly with women in more cases than men. These
can be quite challenging subjects to bring forth even with a good HR
Dept.
Proper business attire to me is the same thing you'd wear if you were
playing a round of golf - dress pants and a collared shirt.
If I'm wearing a suit, it's because someone died... and I never wear a
tie. Don't even own one.
Susan
2009-08-18 15:17:08 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Vandar
Proper business attire to me is the same thing you'd wear if you were
playing a round of golf - dress pants and a collared shirt.
If I'm wearing a suit, it's because someone died... and I never wear a
tie. Don't even own one.
I think it depends on what the business is.

You wear dress pants for golf???

Susan
Vandar
2009-08-18 15:20:41 UTC
Post by Susan
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Vandar
Proper business attire to me is the same thing you'd wear if you were
playing a round of golf - dress pants and a collared shirt.
If I'm wearing a suit, it's because someone died... and I never wear a
tie. Don't even own one.
I think it depends on what the business is.
You wear dress pants for golf???
As dressy as I wear, yes. Mind you, my idea of "dress pants" usually
involves the word Dockers.

b***@gmail.com
2009-08-17 20:22:59 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
We seem to be eliminating all of life's lessons from schools these days
because we're so worried about little Johnny and Jenny's self esteem.
There is no lesson to be gained by forcing kids to take showers in school.
Nope, none whatsoever. And besides, normal people usually prefer to spend
as little time as possible in locker rooms. They're smelly, filthy, dirty
places and anything that touches the floor will likely pick up a fungus.
A quick wipe down with a clean towel, a little extra deodorant, and I was
outta there!!
zob
2009-08-18 04:15:06 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Vandar
Post by Thanatos
We seem to be eliminating all of life's lessons from schools these days
because we're so worried about little Johnny and Jenny's self esteem.
There is no lesson to be gained by forcing kids to take showers in school.
Nope, none whatsoever. And besides, normal people usually prefer to spend
as little time as possible in locker rooms. They're smelly, filthy, dirty
places and anything that touches the floor will likely pick up a fungus.
A quick wipe down with a clean towel, a little extra deodorant, and I was
outta there!!
Yeah, but not every kid has a tiny weenie that they don't want
everybody to see.

Yep, somebody had to go there, and you made it just so easy! :-D
---
Zob
Thanatos
2009-08-18 03:32:00 UTC
Post by Vandar
Post by Suzanne D.
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school
_
no_w.html#more
I don't think that really that weird. I would never have showered in front
of someone else at that age. That's the point in your life where you're at
your most absolute insecure about your body--the WORST thing you can do is
force a kid to reveal it to everyone else!
It teaches you how to suck it up and do stuff that you don't want to do.
Using that line of thought, so does being strip searched in prison.
Hmmm... proper hygiene springs to mind.
Starlight Dream
2009-08-18 12:18:45 UTC
I wish they had done that when I was in school lol no showering after
gym class but it was something we had to do I guess I was shy back
then and I didnt wanna take off my clothes in front of people and we
didnt even have shower curtains made it worse lol ,It wouldnt bother me
now to take one but back then it sure did but had to do it :)
Thanatos
2009-08-17 12:18:56 UTC
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no
_w.html#more
I was reading an article yesterday about a man who grabbed a 14-year-old
girl's arm to keep her from walking in front of a moving car. He took
the time to give her a quick lecture about paying attention and looking
where you're going and ended up being charged with (and convicted of)
"unlawful restraint of a minor" for his trouble. The cherry on top of
that crap sundae is that "unlawful restraint of a minor" is a sexual
offense in that state, so now the guy is a sex offender for the rest of
his life, has to register with the state, can only live in certain
areas, etc.

Fantastic, huh?
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 14:23:57 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no
_w.html#more
I was reading an article yesterday about a man who grabbed a 14-year-old
girl's arm to keep her from walking in front of a moving car. He took
the time to give her a quick lecture about paying attention and looking
where you're going and ended up being charged with (and convicted of)
"unlawful restraint of a minor" for his trouble. The cherry on top of
that crap sundae is that "unlawful restraint of a minor" is a sexual
offense in that state, so now the guy is a sex offender for the rest of
his life, has to register with the state, can only live in certain
areas, etc.
Fantastic, huh?
Infriggincredible. I think I'll take Oregon off the list of possible
retirement states.
If not now, when?
zob
2009-08-17 16:06:42 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_school_no
_w.html#more
I was reading an article yesterday about a man who grabbed a 14-year-old
girl's arm to keep her from walking in front of a moving car. He took
the time to give her a quick lecture about paying attention and looking
where you're going and ended up being charged with (and convicted of)
"unlawful restraint of a minor" for his trouble. The cherry on top of
that crap sundae is that "unlawful restraint of a minor" is a sexual
offense in that state, so now the guy is a sex offender for the rest of
his life, has to register with the state, can only live in certain
areas, etc.
Fantastic, huh?
Whatever happened to the "Good Samaritan" law that protects citizens
who do good deeds from stupid things like this?
---
Zob
Bob Rudd
2009-08-17 16:20:48 UTC
Post by zob
Post by Thanatos
Post by zob
[...]
Golly zob, it depends on the state/DC you live in nowaday in a number of
cases. Thanatos is the lawyer but times have changed, I think, from the
common "Good Samatarian" laws of our youth.
If not now, when?
PeterL
2009-08-17 20:30:53 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_...
_w.html#more
I was reading an article yesterday about a man who grabbed a 14-year-old
girl's arm to keep her from walking in front of a moving car. He took
the time to give her a quick lecture about paying attention and looking
where you're going and ended up being charged with (and convicted of)
"unlawful restraint of a minor" for his trouble. The cherry on top of
that crap sundae is that "unlawful restraint of a minor" is a sexual
offense in that state, so now the guy is a sex offender for the rest of
his life, has to register with the state, can only live in certain
areas, etc.
Fantastic, huh?
Are there more to that story? Did he physically force that girl to
stay and listen to his "quick" lecture?
Thanatos
2009-08-18 03:51:20 UTC
In article
Post by PeterL
Post by Thanatos
I was reading an article yesterday about a man who grabbed a 14-year-old
girl's arm to keep her from walking in front of a moving car. He took
the time to give her a quick lecture about paying attention and looking
where you're going and ended up being charged with (and convicted of)
"unlawful restraint of a minor" for his trouble. The cherry on top of
that crap sundae is that "unlawful restraint of a minor" is a sexual
offense in that state, so now the guy is a sex offender for the rest of
his life, has to register with the state, can only live in certain
areas, etc.
Fantastic, huh?
Are there more to that story? Did he physically force that girl to
stay and listen to his "quick" lecture?
Yeah, for about 20 seconds. Obviously he's a violent sexual predator for
doing so. /sarcasm off

At *most* he should have been charged with simple assault, but even that
would be ridiculous considering that if he hadn't put hands on her in
the first place, she'd have been run over.

But even if he did force her to listen to his lecture, how in the hell
does the state go from that to charging him as a sex offender?

We're getting so hysterical as a society over the pedophile bogeyman
that we're ruining people's lives at a brisk rate for no good reason.

CNN took Florida's sex offender criteria and looked at Miami. Turns out
the only place in the entire city of Miami where a registered sex
offender can legally live is in the middle of Biscayne Bay under the
causeway.

Some states are creating sex offenses out of things that have no sexual
element to them whatsoever. There are people on sex offender registries
who did nothing more than urinate in public. Stagger out of a bar, take
whizz in an alley, and suddenly you're registering as a pervert for the
rest of your life, can't live or work anywhere there's kids, and end up
under a bridge in the middle of the ocean. Urinating in public is no
more a sex offense than computer hacking or reckless driving. Yet that's
what we've come to in our righteous zeal to root out these darned
perverts and make them pay.

And why is it so damn necessary that we track sex offenders and alert
the public to their every move, but not any other kind of offenders?

Personally, I'd be more concerned if someone just moved into my
neighborhood who just got out prison for 2nd-degree murder. But *that*
guy doesn't have to register with anyone or tell anyone about his
whereabouts. Neither does the guy who served 15-20 for a string of home
invasions-- another individual I'd surely like to know about. But the
guy who had sex with his 17-year-old girlfriend when he was 19? Yeah,
that guy we're going to track like he's Osama bin Laden.
zob
2009-08-18 04:23:23 UTC
Post by Thanatos
And why is it so damn necessary that we track sex offenders and alert
the public to their every move, but not any other kind of offenders?
Personally, I'd be more concerned if someone just moved into my
neighborhood who just got out prison for 2nd-degree murder. But *that*
guy doesn't have to register with anyone or tell anyone about his
whereabouts. Neither does the guy who served 15-20 for a string of home
invasions-- another individual I'd surely like to know about. But the
guy who had sex with his 17-year-old girlfriend when he was 19? Yeah,
that guy we're going to track like he's Osama bin Laden.
Thanatos, ITA with everything you just said. But it's not a very
popular POV. When you express that position, you get automatically
labeled by many as someone who condones child molestation and rape.
Emotions over logic.
---
Zob
Thanatos
2009-08-18 04:34:19 UTC
Post by zob
Post by Thanatos
And why is it so damn necessary that we track sex offenders and alert
the public to their every move, but not any other kind of offenders?
Personally, I'd be more concerned if someone just moved into my
neighborhood who just got out prison for 2nd-degree murder. But *that*
guy doesn't have to register with anyone or tell anyone about his
whereabouts. Neither does the guy who served 15-20 for a string of home
invasions-- another individual I'd surely like to know about. But the
guy who had sex with his 17-year-old girlfriend when he was 19? Yeah,
that guy we're going to track like he's Osama bin Laden.
Thanatos, ITA with everything you just said. But it's not a very
popular POV. When you express that position, you get automatically
labeled by many as someone who condones child molestation and rape.
Emotions over logic.
Sure. I'm just waiting for the "well, you must be a pedophile yourself
if you're not in favor protecting the cheeeldrunnn" comments from the
hysterics out there.
Susan

Susan
Peter Lawrence
2009-08-18 04:35:43 UTC
Post by Thanatos
And why is it so damn necessary that we track sex offenders and alert
the public to their every move, but not any other kind of offenders?
One word: recidivism.

Real sex offenders (not someone who got caught peeing outdoors) have one of
the highest rates of recidivism of any felons, including most murderers
(serial murderers are an exception). That's why they are tracked.
Post by Thanatos
Personally, I'd be more concerned if someone just moved into my
neighborhood who just got out prison for 2nd-degree murder. But *that*
guy doesn't have to register with anyone or tell anyone about his
whereabouts. Neither does the guy who served 15-20 for a string of home
invasions-- another individual I'd surely like to know about. But the
guy who had sex with his 17-year-old girlfriend when he was 19? Yeah,
that guy we're going to track like he's Osama bin Laden.
The problem isn't that sex offenders are being tracked, the problem is, as
you already had pointed out, that many people are being charged as sex
offenders when they actually offense had nothing to do about committing a
sex crime. That's the real travesty.

- Peter
Thanatos
2009-08-18 11:17:34 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Thanatos
And why is it so damn necessary that we track sex offenders and alert
the public to their every move, but not any other kind of offenders?
One word: recidivism.
Real sex offenders (not someone who got caught peeing outdoors) have one of
the highest rates of recidivism of any felons, including most murderers
(serial murderers are an exception). That's why they are tracked.
So basically we're punishing people for what they might do in the
future, rather than what they've actually done.

Doesn't seem to be in line with the Constitution.

And even if the recidivism rate for sex offenses is high, there's a
bunch of offenses that are right behind it, coming close seconds and
thirds. Why not track those people, too? Why only the number one slot?
Peter Lawrence
2009-08-18 07:28:53 UTC

Post by Thanatos
Personally, I'd be more concerned if someone just moved into my
neighborhood who just got out prison for 2nd-degree murder. But *that*
guy doesn't have to register with anyone or tell anyone about his
whereabouts. Neither does the guy who served 15-20 for a string of home
invasions-- another individual I'd surely like to know about. But the
guy who had sex with his 17-year-old girlfriend when he was 19? Yeah,
that guy we're going to track like he's Osama bin Laden.
The problem isn't that sex offenders are being tracked, the problem is, as
you already had pointed out, that many people are being charged as sex
offenders when their actual offense had nothing to do with committing a
sex crime. That's the real travesty.

- Peter
Susan
2009-08-18 14:26:13 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Peter Lawrence
One word: recidivism.
Which is also a problem with all sorts of criminals we don't track.

Susan
Rachel
2009-08-17 19:38:28 UTC
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_...
---
Zob
I graduated from high school in 2003, and nobody ever showered after
gym class. Well, none of the girls anyway. I don't think the guys
did either.
zob
2009-08-18 04:24:13 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_...
---
Zob
I graduated from high school in 2003, and nobody ever showered after
gym class. Well, none of the girls anyway. I don't think the guys
did either.
Did everybody smell?
---
Zob
Rachel
2009-08-18 13:17:13 UTC
Post by zob
Post by Rachel
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_...
---
Zob
I graduated from high school in 2003, and nobody ever showered after
gym class.  Well, none of the girls anyway.  I don't think the guys
did either.
Did everybody smell?
---
Zob
Not that I noticed. And as for the "kids need exercise"
argument.....those that liked exercising were the ones that enjoyed
p.e. Those that didn't want to exercise, usually just stood around
anyway. So forcing kids to take PE doesn't mean they are going to get
exercise.
PeterL
Have you ever been to a shower or a locker in a high school?
Susan
2009-08-17 21:17:16 UTC
x-n-archive: yes
Post by PeterL
Have you ever been to a shower or a locker in a high school?
When I was in jr. high, we had swimming for gym once a week, and that
was the only time we showered. It was HORRIBLE; you had to get naked,
stand in line to approach a big, pasty matron who looked like an east
German shot putter who'd look you over and hand you a suit. Red was
small, green was medium, and a poor girl named Hilary got the Big Blue
one, branded! Then after swimming, you had to peel off the suit and be
naked in a room full of girls again, trying to hold a small towel in
front of you for modesty's sake before and after showering.

We HATED it. Better to go to a less privileged district with no effing
pool.

Susan
zob
2009-08-18 04:25:53 UTC
Post by PeterL
Post by zob
I just added this to my, "Just When You Think You've Heard Everything"
list ...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/07/shower_together_at_...
---
Zob
Have you ever been to a shower or a locker in a high school?
Well, yeah, when I was in High School. We had to take showers after
PE and after playing sports. It was considered nasty not to.
---