American Idol Top 20 RECAP (from MJ's Blog)
2020-04-27 05:51:34 UTC
American Idol 2020 Recap: Top 20 Perform at Home! Live Blog

American Idol goes remote tonight. The Top 20 perform from their homes
across America. The judges, Lionel Richie, Katy Perry and Luke Perry,
will offer critiques from home. Bobby Bones mentors from home! Ryan
Seacrest hosts from home. You get the idea. It’s 25 locations in all,
and that’s not counting the band, backup singers and crew. It’s truly
an Idol first.

Also, at the start of the show, fans can vote for their favorites. the
Top 10 WILL be announced next week. Here’s how it works: There are 3
ways to vote: On the American Idol phone app, at AmericanIdol.com, and
by texting the contestant’s number 21523. Ten votes per contestant per
method! VOTING ENDS AT 9 AM ET Monday April 27.

Katy is wearing a huge bottle of American Idol brand sanitizer. She
cray! Ryan chats up the judges. Everyone trying to put the best face
on the situation. What else can they do?

It’s worth noting that Idol producers explained that contestants would
perform 3 times for the camera, and that the audio from the second,
barring a catastrophe, would be used. The other “passes” were used
edit in different angles.

1. Kimmy Gabriella – Leave Me Lonely – From Lakeland Florida – She
performs outside on a porch with a backdrop of flowers. She sounds
great. The sound quality is incredible. It’s almost too good. Great
job from Kimmy. She gets a hug from her family afterward. Katy notes
how different she looks. The hair straightening! Katy thinks she is
beginning to know who she is. Luke is impressed by how well she
navigates the notes. “You’re a world class singer,” he says. Lionel
compliments her attitude, and how she pulls listeners in. “You took it
to the next level,” he says. “I’m going to cry!” says Kimmy. – Text
21523 to 1

2. Jovin Webb – With A Little Help From my Friends – From Mississippi
– Jovin is one of my favorite singers, and he doesn’t disappoint here.
Three backup singers croon in boxes on the side. Jovin is set up in
his garage. Luke says his voice stops people in his tracks. “Great
job.” Lionel calls it “Instant identity.” he adds, “A little barbecue
sauce was needed.” Katy says “You’ve got texture galore in your
voice.” – Text 21523 to 2

3. Franklin Boone – Everybody Wants to Rule the World – From North
Carolina – Aw. His family off to the side cheering him on. Hm. This is
an odd pick. I don’t love the arrangement. But I do love Franklin’s
voice. His tone and delivery are gorgeous. But this rolling piano is
distracting. Ick. Impressive money note, though. Lionel loved his
voice. “You were true to yourself. Your presentation was right on
point.” Katy is tearing up. And how ridiculous, as she’s dressed as a
hand sanitizer. He gave Luke chill bumps. “It was just beautiful to
watch.” He calls it Top 10 worthy. – Text 21523 to 3

4. Olivia Ximines – Bad Guy by Billie Eilish – From Southern
California – Poor Olivia has no room to dance. Lucky she’s got great
vocals, so she’s good. Even without the moves, she brings the
attitude. Olivia’s personality never stops. Katy is glad to hear the
quality of her voice. That’s true. “You always bring the show,” says
Luke. Lionel calls her a superstar. “Keep that going.” – Text 21523
to 4

5. Louis Knight – If The World is Ending – From Eastern Pennsylvania
– Louis accompanies himself on electric piano. Interestingly, he
doesn’t sing in an American accent like so many of his brethren. I
like the British artists decorating his walls! His voice is very
pretty. What a gorgeous falsetto. But this performance is a little
dull. Louis may be the kind of artist who needs to sing his own
compositions to really connect. Luke loved the song choice. “It gave
us a clear glimpse of who you can be as an artist.” He calls it
“artistic.” Lionel calls his voice and falsetto “stellar.” Katy also
loves the song choice. She warns him about sounding nasally. – Text
21523 to 5

6. Makayla Phillips – Greedy by Ariana Grande – from Temecula
California – Makayla could be the next Ariana Grande, IF and when she
creates her own style. She’s not distinctive yet. But man, she’s got
the pipes. Lionel wants to let all 20 go through. He compliments her
growth and professionalism. Katy thinks it looks so natural for her.
But, she wasn’t crazy for the song choice. Luke liked the youthfulness
and the fun. – Text 21523 to 6

Bobby Bones makes his first appearance. Next week, the theme will be
“songs that remind them of home.” He’s going to have more to do when
the field cuts to 10.

7. Aliana Jester – Run to You by Whitney Houston – From Fort Beach
Florida – Heck no to this old fashioned Whitney Houston song. The room
is inexplicably…filled with lamps. The set up is a perfect
illustration of how no matter how hard Idol tried to make the playing
field even, it can’t be 100 percent even. Her vocals are OK. She
strains a bit on the top notes. But she doesn’t bring a new twist to a
familiar song. Aw her family comes out to give her a big hug. Katy
compliments Aliana’s power and passion. Luke had “chill bumps.” He
loved it. Lionel thinks she pulled it off and made it her own song. –
Text 21523 to 7

8. Faith Becnel – River by Bishop Briggs – From New Orleans – Faith
has gotten short shrift throughout the competition so far. I get the
sense she’s Katy’s favorite and maybe pushed for her. She’s got an odd
voice, but there is something compelling about it. This is a very good
song choice. Her best performance yet. Also, her home set up is
simple, but kind of cool. Lionel loved her delivery. “Little miss
personality can hit some big time notes,” says Luke. Katy felt Faith
took their notes regarding controlling her vibrato. – Text 21523 to 8

9. Nick Merico – Hey There Delilah by Plain White T’s – From Woodland
Hills California – This is a song people covered constantly back in
the aughts. It’s pretty dated now. And it was always a bland pop song.
Honestly, other than his teen idol looks, I have no idea why he
advanced beyond more talented contestants. His teeth are very nice,
though! Lionel loved the performance. Luke wanted him to “dig in a
little more” AGREE. Katy call the subtleties of his voice beautiful.
“One of your better performances. – Text 21523 to 9

10. Lauren Spencer Smith – Mama Knows Best by Jessie J – From
Vancouver Island Canada! – I think Makayla is Lauren’s biggest
competition? They are very alike. I wonder if Idol is looking for a
big voiced female to win this season. Because there are quite a few in
this Top 20. The song is a great showcase for her voice. But again,
she doesn’t really distinguish herself here. Her DOGGOS ARE SO CUTE.
Katy says “You’re growing during a quarantine!” Luke thinks her voice
gets better and better. He calls her voice “amazin'” Lionel loves her
attitude. – Text 21523 to 10

11. Cyniah Elise – Warrior by Demi Lovato – From Jonesboro Georgia –
This is a very good performance. She manages to infuse the song with
so much passion, even singing alone in her bedroom. That’s not easy to
do. Luke has a stankylookface. Trying to trend on Twitter. Good luck
on that. Luke thought it was a good song choice, but thinks she could
connect more. “You have the voice of life,” says Lionel. Katy tells
her to work that camera like she works her mirror at home. Hm. I liked
that more than the judges did. – Text 21523 to 11

12. Francisco Martin – Teenage Dream by Katy Perry – From San
Francisco California – Heh. He’s performing the Glee Darren Criss
version! To be more specific, it’s the acoustic version that Darren
sings live. It’s a good choice. Come to think of it, his voice is
similar to Darren’s, but more passionate. There is something about
Francisco. He may be a nervous wreck, but he allows himself to be
vulnerable. His emotion is so earnest. It makes him likable. Katy
thinks it really worked. She wanted more dynamics from him. But “you
did it real justice” she says. Luke says, “You have the magic. I’m
jealous!” Luke felt he took a chance, but made it his song. – Text
21523 to 12

13. Sophia James – Burning by Maggie Rogers – From California –
Sometimes Sophia bites off more than she can chew. Her deep alto has a
lovely texture, and tone. But she tries to do too much sometimes. An
obviously musical singer, she needs to reign it in a little. Which,
actually, she doing here. Although, that ended a little abruptly. For
a moment, I thought her dad and brother were going to pick up
instruments. But the song was over. Katy calls it “pleasing to hear.”
Luke says, “You’re sneaky good,” but adds, looking down at the piano
distracted her from connecting, a little bit. “You can melt hearts
right away,” says Lionel. Katy calls her vocal runs “crazy.” – Text
21523 to 13

14. Dewayne Crocker – I Got You (I Feel Good) by James Brown – From
Castle Rock Colorado – OK WHY IS THERE A CHRISTMAS TREE IN HIS LIVING
ROOM. This is a song that needs a BIG stage to really work. Here, it
sounds tinny and canned. Dewayne can sing, though. I wish he had
picked a different song. Luke was impressed with his ending run. But
it was a little too slick, he thought. Lionel agrees with Luke. He was
looking for “that growl.” Katy felt it needed to be dirtier. It think
it might have been better live on a stage. – Text 21523 to 14

15. Dillon James – Let it Be Me by Ray Lamontagne – From Bakersfield
California – Generally, I’ve enjoyed Dillon’s performances. He’s got a
special sound. But I’m not feeling a connection here. I think some of
the kids are feeling kind of weird in these at-home settings. Lionel
compliments his look, sound and attitude. “That was totally
believable.” Luke is looking forward to him cutting a record. Katy
mentions Gabby Barrett’s No. 1 record. “That could be your future next
year. – Text 21523 to 15

16. Arthur Gunn – Lovin Machine – From Wichita Kansas – OK. I was not
expecting honky tonky from Arthur. Again, it’s a song that is better
on a big stage. But performing on his front porch, he’s still manages
to bring it. Here’s an artist who truly embodies every song he sings.
Katy says, “You’re giving us such a vibe.” She advises him to look at
the camera. Lionel thinks his shyness is his secret weapon. Luke says
all he needs is to realize his ginormous talent. – Text 21523 to 16

17. Julia Gargano – Human by Christina Perri – From Staten Island New
York – Accompanying herself on electric piano, I gotta say she’s one
of my favorites. Her tone is so rich and deep and she conveys emotion
effortlessly. Beautiful phrasing. Aw. Mama gives her a big kiss after
she finishes. Luke loves hearing the nuances in her voice. “My brain
is scrambled right now.” Lionel calls her a “stylist.” He added, “You
delivered the goods.” Katy thinks she checks all the boxes. – Text
21523 to 17

18. Grace Leer – Cry by Faith Hill – From Nashville TN – Grace brings
some country 90s realness here. I wish she had sung a more
traditional/Americana tune, but that song pick really showcased her
voice. Lionel says Grace rose to the occasion. Katy says “You rode
that bull real well.” Luke thought the beginning of the song lacked,
but halfway through, she brought the big notes. – Text 21523 to 18

Just Sam was the only Top 20 contestant to stay in Los Angeles after
producers sent everybody home, Ryan explains. And thank heavens. She
was living with her grandmother in a Harem project. It’s a VERY
dangerous place to be right now, health wise. I hope her grandma is
staying safe.

19. Just Sam – I Believe by Fantasia – From Los Angeles, California –
Oh no. She isn’t singing Fantasia’s season 3 winners song is she? Hoo
boy. This corny song. Fantasia pulled it off. Can Sam? She does a nice
job with it. But I don’t think the song choice did her justice. Katy
is so excited to see her flourish. Luke compliments her growth. Sam
begins to cry. Lionel calls her inspirational. “I love you guys so so
much,” Just Sam says. She gets extra chat with the judges. Lionel
compliments her hair. – Text 21523 to 19

20. Jonny West – What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong – From
Studio City California – He’s quarantining with his girlfriend, Top 40
contestant, Margie Mays. To be perfectly honest, I’m not a fan of this
song. But Jonny puts his own twist on his cover, switching up the
melody in places, delivering an intimate performance. Fans of the song
might not like him toying with the song like that, but I do. Jonny’s
style is so distinctive, he’s got star quality. Luke thinks he can
take his career wherever he wants to take it. “You have it all,” says
Lionel. Katy loves his subtleties. – Text 21523 to 20

There are also videos of each performance at MJ's website:
https://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-2020-recap-top-20-perform-at-home-live-blog-videos.htm
Zob
2020-04-27 06:15:22 UTC
Post by Zob
[...]
FWIW, I voted for
Aliana Jester,
Francisco Martin (who reminds me so much of David Archuleta),
Arthur Gunn,
Dillon James, and
Just Sam.

Some of the others whom I really liked at Hollywood week and in Hawaii
weren't so exciting this time, e.g., Kimmy Gabriela, Cyniah Elise and
Olivia Ximines. I really liked Sophia James before, but now the show
pimping her brother's mental illness is really starting to irritate me
and work against her. Same with Johnny West's irritating girlfriend
trying to get camera time.

I guess by next week when it's down to a top 10 it will be easier for
many people to get a better idea of who is who, it's still a bit
early.

Overall I think the technology tonight was AMAZING considering the
obstacles that Idol had to overcome in getting this show together.
Nobody can complain this season about not being able to hear the
singers' voices over the band; autotune or too much echo. We're
simply hearing the unadorned voices and I for one think its great. And
some of these singers sound far better from their homes than many of
the established singing stars that I've heard doing concerts from
their homes. Including Luke Bryant.
The_LA_Flash
2020-04-27 15:09:06 UTC
Post by Zob
[...]
I only watched the first 45 minutes of the show so far but from what I've seen here are a couple of thoughts, I thought it was funny for Katie to be dressed in a silly costume but after the first break she should have dumped the costume.
The whole time I was watching Kimmy perform I was distracted by the yard work that wasn't done, you would think that someone could have at least taken a weed trimmer to the grass and made it look a little nicer, maybe it was just me that noticed that because I had a weed trimmer that I had to take into the show this weekend.
The same thing with the British kid, he should have at least made his bed correctly, I noticed the country judge made a comment about it. My point is I bet a lot of viewers were distracted with silly things like that, so what use to be a singing competition is now coming down to how well everything looks in the background. Case in point, the 18 year old black girl had a couple of distracting nails hammered into her wall, no doubt where a picture once hung but they decided to take it down but they left the nails in the wall.
I can hardly wait to finish watching the rest of the show to see what other tacky stuff I can pick up on. Haha