OT: The Voice
2020-12-15 04:02:34 UTC
I haven't watched The Voice for three or so years now because there
are so many things that I don't like about it. I do love the idea of
initially choosing the contestants based solely on their voice and not
their appearance. But after that, not so much.

I don't like the crappy song choices, I don't like that most
contestants are already professional singers, I hate the phony
interaction between the judges and I don't like that the judge/mentors
BEG the contestants to be on their team at the blind auditions.. and
then kick them off their team in the next round. There has to be a
better way.

But what irritates me most is that the sob stories of the contestants
far surpasses even what American Idol does. The backstories and judge
reactions are so contrived to try to be emotional that they have
exactly the opposite effect on me. This evening I was in the kitchen
cooking my dinner and I could hear The Voice on the TV that my sister
was watching in the next room; I overheard two singers and the judge's
comments. The first was some girl that sang a horrible song choice
and didn't even sing it that well. And after she sang, whatever judge
it was said, "Oh, I'm so happy that you are on my team! That was so
beautiful and emotional that it made me cry!" (Um...no,it wasn't on
either count. It was a crappy song, over sung with no feeling).
After that one, before he sang I heard a boy say something to the
effect that his family had to live in their car and how hard it was
during the COVID-19 pandemic yada yada yada. And after he sang the
judge gushed all over him, saying that he was the best vocalist they
had ever had on The Voice, etc. Um, no it wasn't, and every judge
says that to every one who sings on their "team" LOL!

Good Lord I'm cranky tonight. :-D
Zob
2020-12-15 04:06:32 UTC
Post by Zob
But what irritates me most is that the sob stories of the contestants
far surpasses even what American Idol does.
p.s. I was thinking tonight that there should be a Grand Jury inquiry
into why the mothers/brothers/gest friends/dogs of so many contestants
on The Voice die just prior to them going on the show. It's starting
to look suspicious.