Speaking of Clay
Bob Rudd
2008-02-01 04:58:27 UTC
As Vandar said in another thread, "speaking of Clay..."

This weekend on AI Rewind, should be the wild card round that got him on
AI2.
--
American Idol 2 - the only AI where the hanging phone chads cost the
real winner the title.
G D
2008-02-03 06:33:43 UTC
Hey, Bob! I've probably missed your posts most of all in the time I've
been unable to post here. Had a pretty bad car accident this fall....
not for the car so much or anyone else involved, but it screwed up my
already serious back problem royally. I've been hospitalized and in
rehab for a horribly long time, on and off, and when home, my free time
is mostly spent watching movies or reading. Even just handling the
keyboard was quite painful until now.

I've been watching "AI Rewind, Season 2" and even taking notes, hoping
to get back here to post a weekly thread on the show as I did last
season. First impression is that most of the kids are better than I
remembered. I think the talent level declined year after year as the
judges seem more and more to focus on finding an eclectic bunch of
varied personalities and looks, whereas I believe the first couple of
seasons were more genuinely about finding talent to present to the
public. I also think that the talent level for Season 2 improved over
the first year, probably because they had a much larger pool of
auditioners to choose from as the show's popularity grew.

Finally, I wanted to bring back something I wrote in a short thread from
the back of the heap that I doubt anyone saw, about Aiken's Broadway
debut in "Spamalot":

I haven't been here for a while for many reasons but I thought I'd jump
in to tell you all about seeing this play over the weekend. We were in
Manhattan for a cousin's wedding and fortunately had enough time to take
the family to a matinee. Not great seats for the girls' Aiken watching
(they're going back in the spring with front center orchestra seats),
but we had a decent view of the entire stage and set, which was quite
impressive.

Being a long-time Python fan, I knew I would enjoy the show. Of course
we also knew Aiken could hold his own vocally and he's proved his
comedic ability many times in concert and on TV. But I was wondering if
they would give him a pass on the dancing as he loves to claim he's all
left feet..... he's not. The biggest surprise to me, in fact to all of
us and those in the crowd we spoke with, was that he seemed like a stage
veteran in all aspects of his performance. Yes, the guy can dance. And
yes, he can act as he has to take on three different characters, with
different accents, body language and attitudes. Probably the biggest
compliment to him was that there were some in the crowd who weren't sure
which of the actors was Aiken, meaning he fit in just fine.

If you enjoy the Python brand of humor (and even if you think you don't)
and you're going to be in the city, I highly recommend this show. The
entire cast is amazing, hilarious and the Lady Of The Lake is a
knock-out!

GD
Tzigaane
2008-02-03 18:31:28 UTC
Post by G D
Hey, Bob! I've probably missed your posts most of all in the time I've
been unable to post here. Had a pretty bad car accident this fall....
not for the car so much or anyone else involved, but it screwed up my
already serious back problem royally. I've been hospitalized and in
rehab for a horribly long time, on and off, and when home, my free time
is mostly spent watching movies or reading. Even just handling the
keyboard was quite painful until now.
Wow GD, so sorry to hear this, but glad things are going better for you now!
Post by G D
I've been watching "AI Rewind, Season 2" and even taking notes, hoping
to get back here to post a weekly thread on the show as I did last
season. First impression is that most of the kids are better than I
remembered. I think the talent level declined year after year as the
judges seem more and more to focus on finding an eclectic bunch of
varied personalities and looks, whereas I believe the first couple of
seasons were more genuinely about finding talent to present to the
public. I also think that the talent level for Season 2 improved over
the first year, probably because they had a much larger pool of
auditioners to choose from as the show's popularity grew.
I'm not remembering off the top of my the pool of talent from season 2,
but I totally agree that in the past 2 or 3 years they've sacrifice
talent for variety. And I think they probably could have had talent
*and* variety if they'd been willing to sacrifice back story.
Post by G D
[...]
Thanks for posting the review. As a long time Python fan I do wish I
had seen it when it was in Seattle (way too expensive), of course Clay
wasn't in it then anyway. It would be especially fun to see it with Clay!

tzigaane
fmomoon
2008-02-03 20:27:13 UTC
Post by G D
[...]
I'm not Bob (yes, there is one in the group I am not), but I have to say
that I am very happy you posted this review. I do wish I lived on the other
coast so I could see this and many other shows. Glad to hear that Clay is
doing well. He has big shoes to fill, that is for sure.
--
Moni

In opera, there is always too much singing.
- Claude Debussy
Phyllis Stone
2008-02-04 02:43:06 UTC
Post by G D
[...]
I've been watching rewind too and I'm like you, I didn't remember so many
talented singers. I also didn't remember how strange Carmen's voice was. How
could they have passed her through? That bleating in her voice was alarming.
There was a girl who I thought was really good and no one seemed to like her
much. She sang Angel and Paula complained that she sang it too much. She
was really good though.
Bob Rudd
2008-02-04 04:17:33 UTC
Post by Phyllis Stone
Post by G D
[...]
GD, I sent you an email but it bounced back to me. I'm sorry to hear
about your accident but am glad that your alive. Things take time and
rehab ain't easy. Just keep reminding yourself of that.....little
victories.

When you get a chance, email me, my friend.

You're in my prayers.
--
I hope we can all be good neighbors online!